Thief or Hunter for PvP or WvW?

Ziorah.9750

Hello dear ones,

I've been playing my thief since GW2 came out. In between it was sometimes mage and then also warrior. Well, tastes change. Now I like Charr visually very well. Very very good!

Currently I want to play mainly PvP, then later also WvW. What would you recommend me? Thief or huntress? I get along with my thief quite well that way. But I actually want more in the fight and not only cap the points.

I don't care about melee or ranged combat. What do you say? Charr Thief or Charr Hunter?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ziorah.9750 said:

Hello dear ones,

I've been playing my thief since GW2 came out. In between it was sometimes mage and then also warrior. Well, tastes change. Now I like Charr visually very well. Very very good!

Currently I want to play mainly PvP, then later also WvW. What would you recommend me? Thief or huntress? I get along with my thief quite well that way. But I actually want more in the fight and not only cap the points.

I don't care about melee or ranged combat. What do you say? Charr Thief or Charr Hunter?

I don't want to be rude, but could you please use the name of profession that are used in this game instead of "mage" or "huntress" as those doesn't exist as profession in this game?

It is also easy to get confused when one assume that you might talk about "mage" as maybe Elementalist (manipulation of the four elements) or Mesmer (Illusionist) which both use different type of "magic". We also have Necromancer which could fit with that description as they also make use some kind of "magic" (dark magic) where they manipulate "soul" (by draining HP or getting effects out of target to boost themselves). Necromancer can also work as "summoner" (another kind of magic) as they have access to "pets" (Minions).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession

When you talk about "Huntress" the closest profession in GW2 would be Ranger (and its elites: Druid, Soulbeast and Untamed) as I suspect you are talking about a profession which make use of animals/nature or make use of weapons in a way that would be closer to "nature" or "hunting".

Thief (and its elites) are focused on stealth, have more single target skills with high spike damage (compared to other profession) and have easier access to mobility,  make use of Initiative as resource management for most use of skills.

Some profession can also make use of Traps (same as Ranger have skills that are Traps or for that matter Dragonhunter [Guardian elite] which also have access to Trap skills).

As Thief do also have DeadEye, DareDevil and Spectre as elite profession which work rather different then core Thief it might be helpful to know what type of Thief you have played most and what kind of expectation you have on a "huntress" type of profession.

Which game mode is it you play most as that also would change a bit how some profession actually work in this game? Even if you only would play PvE, there is a difference if you play open world meta or do Strike Mission, Raids, DRM or any other instanced content which is still PvE.

Same if we talk about WvW where it is wide range from solo, small group fights, large scale fights etc.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Ziorah.9750 said:

Hello dear ones,

Both thief and ranger have melee and ranged options. Could you be more specific about what you want to do?

• Confused 1

In case you mean ranger with hunter:

For harassing single targets, Thief is the most pesky choice from a victim standpoint, but Ranger is probably the faster choice to take one out. He can have an insane burst. But Thief, with its mobility and more stealth, outweighs any other class.

For organized squads in WvW, Thief is useless. Even more so than the Ranger. The Ranger is also not popular and can be kicked out when the squad is full. Some commanders are so nasty.