Help Me Understand People's Builds

Not Trying.4901

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIh7lRwOYKsEmJO2P%2FtLA-DWRYiR93hRQ4lR2pa3VllvDCQA%2FtM%2FrFA-w

Here's one build with this example.

I understand not having a full set of say minstrel, mixing some with cleric in order not to go over the concentration cap, or people mixing assassin to get closer to crit cap etc etc.

But why do people do builds like these? I don't see the benefit of just mixing a few of a stat in, is there some sort of diminishing returns I'm not aware of in toughness, and other such stats?

Tl;dr why do people gear mix, when It doesn't appear to even help prevent a stat hardcap?

It looks like the guy just wanted a little more Toughness for "wiggle room" in WvW.  By "wiggle room" I mean the stats make up a bit for those little mistakes like bad positioning or unexpected lockdowns.  He's already doing that too with Marauders instead of Berserkers.

Edited by Chaba.5410

6 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

It looks like the guy just wanted a little more Toughness for "wiggle room" in WvW.  By "wiggle room" I mean the stats make up a bit for those little mistakes like bad positioning or unexpected lockdowns.  He's already doing that too with Marauders instead of Berserkers.

Is raw hp even good without effective hp (toughness)? Did someone do the math?

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Not Trying.4901 said:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIh7lRwOYKsEmJO2P%2FtLA-DWRYiR93hRQ4lR2pa3VllvDCQA%2FtM%2FrFA-w

Here's one build with this example.

I understand not having a full set of say minstrel, mixing some with cleric in order not to go over the concentration cap, or people mixing assassin to get closer to crit cap etc etc.

But why do people do builds like these? I don't see the benefit of just mixing a few of a stat in, is there some sort of diminishing returns I'm not aware of in toughness, and other such stats?

Tl;dr why do people gear mix, when It doesn't appear to even help prevent a stat hardcap?

He must be happy with his damage that he isnt running power stat runes, he has ferocity + precision on his runes so that leaves trinkets open for some optional stats. While there isnt a toughness or power cap there absolutely is a precision cap. And afaik power > ferocity in terms of crit damage. So he is still getting power from knight stat but he is also getting sustainability via hp and toughness.

I've heard multiple times that 1700 toughness is what should aim for standing chance against tougher, sustainable builds. If you go full berserker, thats still viable if you are pretty good at the game, you can pop people off but most classes these days are pretty bunker and heavily puke boons/cc. So you really need to be as much sustainable as possible while still being a threat on a power build.

To answer your question. Its basically min maxing, thats depending on class and player's playstyle and choice of fights. Notice how he is only socketing in Knights on earrings and backpiece all of which gives the least amount of stats.

Edited by MalekithDG.6124

12 minutes ago, MalekithDG.6124 said:

Is raw hp even good without effective hp (toughness)? Did someone do the math?

Used to be some old build calculator websites that did those comparisons.  Toughness is usually the counter to direct damage while HP tends to mitigate condition damage.  That build doesn't seem to have ways of dealing with conditions too well.  It's trying to go for the fast power kill.  Hrm.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Used to be some old build calculator websites that did those comparisons.  Toughness is usually the counter to direct damage while HP tends to be mitigate condition damage.  That build doesn't seem to have ways of dealing with conditions too well.  It's trying to go for the fast power kill.  Hrm.

Oh yeah right lol, makes sense. I completely forgot condition damage. My bad.

Edited by MalekithDG.6124

Well, 4 stat combination give much more stats thus marauder, but toughness is very good stat for any high base health and high sustain class such as defense warrior.

But the thing is, while stacking armor is good against power builds, it does nearly nothing against condi players, and there aren't good 4 piece stats to gain it. So you typically limit yourself to couple of knight trinkets like this guy did.

Since he isn't running Cleansing sigils, "Shake It Off!" or Cleansing Ire, he will lose to condition builds regardless, I do not understand why play Marauder over Berserker.

So the stats are fine for defense warrior but is the build optimized? Answer: No. The more crit chance you have, the lower percentage of damage increase it is. So power would be more DPS and burst than crit chance or damage from runes. Also the food is terrible and will never be more sustain than damage reduction food, and Savage Instict is pretty worthless trait if you do not take Eternal Champion as well.

Edited by Riba.3271

this build was designed specifically to crit cap and then distribute the rest of the points into defense. this player prefers toughness, however marauder is the best damage set to crit cap with without losing defense (vitality), so the bulk of hte build used marauder's instead of knight's gear. warrior does best on toughness due to their high base health, but the toughness-equivalent of marauder's gear is only available in pvp and has never been added to pve or wvw.

by comparison, berserker's has poor crit cap capacity unless you're running a class with alot of innate bonuses (e.g engineer, ranger, or revenant). someone mentioned this player doesn't run condi cleanse, however they missed the interaction between the relic and headbutt.

i hope this helps.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

someone mentioned this player doesn't run condi cleanse

To be clear, I said it doesn't handle condis too well, not that it doesn't run any cleanse.  It also provides Resistance upon block or struck by critical hit.  It is still a build that is weak to getting loaded up with a lot of conditions.

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

this build was designed specifically to crit cap and then distribute the rest of the points into defense. this player prefers toughness, however marauder is the best damage set to crit cap with without losing defense (vitality), so the bulk of hte build used marauder's instead of knight's gear. warrior does best on toughness due to their high base health, but the toughness-equivalent of marauder's gear is only available in pvp and has never been added to pve or wvw.

by comparison, berserker's has poor crit cap capacity unless you're running a class with alot of innate bonuses (e.g engineer, ranger, or revenant). someone mentioned this player doesn't run condi cleanse, however they missed the interaction between the relic and headbutt.

i hope this helps.

Okay this makes sense. I was in the mindset the zerk gear was best for getting crit chance outside of assassin. But it seems marauder has a higher Stat split for it.

Edited by Not Trying.4901