Give stability, resolution or other rare boons to specific pet-skills

FreshF.5793

Problem with this is Soulbeast is the spec that would abuse it, and Soulbeast already has the most overloaded stability-based Ranger skill in Dolyak Stance.

So, you are really asking to nerf Dolyak Stance, and they can't do that without massively overhauling pet responsiveness--not just in cast time but in literal reaction time to commands, as right now they can delay for 3-5 seconds before doing anything or be stuck in the 'casting' state.   

Aegis on White Tiger and Siege Turtle bubble are indeed useful skills--just don't think they can expand that to stability without really wrecking balance because of Soulbeast specifically.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Problem with this is Soulbeast is the spec that would abuse it, and Soulbeast already has the most overloaded stability-based Ranger skill in Dolyak Stance.

So, you are really asking to nerf Dolyak Stance, and they can't do that without massively overhauling pet responsiveness--not just in cast time but in literal reaction time to commands, as right now they can delay for 3-5 seconds before doing anything or be stuck in the 'casting' state.   

Aegis on White Tiger and Siege Turtle bubble are indeed useful skills--just don't think they can expand that to stability without really wrecking balance because of Soulbeast specifically.  

I dont think soulbeast gets the normal beast ability in their toolkit, hence it would not be a problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FreshF.5793 said:

I dont think soulbeast gets the normal beast ability in their toolkit, hence it would not be a problem.

It's not just the F2, it's the interaction with merging and then use of WHaO:

Fresh Reinforcement - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

"We Heal As One!" - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

As only in PvE do you play entirely merged and forget about the pet--you also have to consider competitive where you should be using the pet in some capacity.

You also are skipping the entire part about Dolyak Stance yielding 6 stacks of stab and also stab on pet swap via Shared Anguish, the stab you can get from Rampage as One, the stability from Centaur Relic...

Stability is anything but a rare boon for ranger, especially soulbeast.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

It's not just the F2, it's the interaction with merging and then use of WHaO:

Fresh Reinforcement - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

"We Heal As One!" - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

As only in PvE do you play entirely merged and forget about the pet--you also have to consider competitive where you should be using the pet in some capacity.

You also are skipping the entire part about Dolyak Stance yielding 6 stacks of stab and also stab on pet swap via Shared Anguish, the stab you can get from Rampage as One, the stability from Centaur Relic...

Stability is anything but a rare boon for ranger, especially soulbeast.  

I think it would be a problem, if:
- The durations weren't so low, you can just wait it out.
- Setting up the stab didn't require a heal skill+merge
- Boon strip wasn't already run a lot already

26 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

I think it would be a problem, if:
- The durations weren't so low, you can just wait it out.
- Setting up the stab didn't require a heal skill+merge
- Boon strip wasn't already run a lot already

This neglects cele gear or high boon duration gear which makes it problematic, especially if the soulbeast is running a versatile pet.  

Using WHaO and merging is just the standard way to abuse boon spam as a soulbeast--it wouldn't be required in all circumstances because of Dolyak Stance.  

There's a reason they added only a single stack of stability as a trait and on pet swap which varies depending on if you take BM or not--this is to prevent spamming. 

If you put stab on a pet skill as soulbeast, going to get at least 2 stacks by merging and then possibly a third if you use your healing skill--then a fourth if you pet swap with SA traited...add in boon duration and you're looking at 5+ seconds of many stacks of stability.  

There's not enough boon strip right now to warrant that--and considering how versatile ranger is in other areas already it'd last about a day before anet broke something else trying to balance it.  

On 10/3/2023 at 8:40 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Yeah pretty much this. I rather have my pet get an i-frame every time my ranger dodges given that vigor is useless on pets. And it would be a mechanic that can't be abused by soulbeast

I'm not sure how I feel about this. In PvE endgame... the only place you're really picking pets for group support abilities is if you're playing druid, in which case you already have access to stability through Glyph of the Stars and (if you brought it) Glyph of Equality. Access to stability is actually one of the reasons to bring a druid over a mechanist. Aegis is a bit limited, but that's already on a pet; maybe mace will bring more access to that. I'm also not sure of a way to get resolution, but that doesn't seem to be valued by most groups.

The real drawback of the druid as a healer is that it can't produce barrier. Boons aren't a big problem anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This neglects cele gear or high boon duration gear which makes it problematic, especially if the soulbeast is running a versatile pet.  

Using WHaO and merging is just the standard way to abuse boon spam as a soulbeast--it wouldn't be required in all circumstances because of Dolyak Stance.  

There's a reason they added only a single stack of stability as a trait and on pet swap which varies depending on if you take BM or not--this is to prevent spamming. 

If you put stab on a pet skill as soulbeast, going to get at least 2 stacks by merging and then possibly a third if you use your healing skill--then a fourth if you pet swap with SA traited...add in boon duration and you're looking at 5+ seconds of many stacks of stability.  

There's not enough boon strip right now to warrant that--and considering how versatile ranger is in other areas already it'd last about a day before anet broke something else trying to balance it.  

This thread seem to be 2 years old at least.

From when WHaO CD and boon duration across the board was nerfed to the ground  there is no way you can achieve anything you are saying.

Stability is not been given and actually it is actively taken away from ranger is because roleplay at least for what the balance patch notes said once. 
Signet of the hunt and Nature spirit  used to give stability the later as pulses.

Also trait shared anguish gave one stack every 90 seconds or so. All has been removed.

I am not sure why in current day where everyclass in game has access to plenty of everything ranger is still the one limited to roleplay reasons.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Also trait shared anguish gave one stack every 90 seconds or so. All has been removed.

Nope, it's still there:

Shared Anguish - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Not 90s either lol, literally on pet swap--guess that could be 60s if you are letting them die, but in reality, 16-20s depending on if BM is taken.

17 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Signet of the hunt and Nature spirit  used to give stability the later as pulses.

Signet of hunt never gave stab--the pulsing stab was on Rampage as One--prior to it renamed as Strength of the Pack.  

We have way more stab access now than at any time in the past--to reiterate my thoughts above, outliers like Dolyak are still a bit disproportionate when on Untamed you have to take the heal and sacrifice the super speed to get it and/or take the long CD elite.  

But OP clarified it was for endgame PvE--which is fine but I don't think they will split pet skills like that, it's annoying enough when they do it with traits (ex: Let Loose only giving quickness in PvE).  

On 10/3/2023 at 6:40 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

While Dolyak stance might tbe the "best" in class for rangers, other classes can easily get protection and stab buff from their skills which does the exact same thing and these are spammables unlike our stances which has a hell of a long CD. 

To add to injury these buff they get normally have traits associated with them like engineers, necro for example. 

What do rangers really get compared to the meta out there? Our best in class seems like skills worthy of an NPC world boss.

15 hours ago, WastedYears.8934 said:

While Dolyak stance might tbe the "best" in class for rangers, other classes can easily get protection and stab buff from their skills which does the exact same thing and these are spammables unlike our stances which has a hell of a long CD. 

To add to injury these buff they get normally have traits associated with them like engineers, necro for example. 

What do rangers really get compared to the meta out there? Our best in class seems like skills worthy of an NPC world boss.

We can get stability from Relentless Whirl if we are talking about weapon skills--but if you are going that route, you'd want to namedrop elementalist and not necro or engi.  

That'd hold true for both PvE where ele has 3 of top 10 in benchmarks atm, and competitive where ele has always been a good pick.  

Probably straying too far from the topic though, as I don't think Ranger is bad off at all at the moment.  My only thoughts are wondering what would happen if they would spread Dolyak Stance around to the other Ranger specs--but it might be better off for the casual majority if it stays the same, as we do need a LI spec.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267