Is there a difference in play per rank?

Damocles.4908

i don't understand how players think rank matters in the current meta when its been down to cheese builds and tactics for a long time, not to mention the fact that the matchmaker puts everyone from bronze to platinum in the same game when there's insufficient players online.

honestly, i think pvp is nowhere near as skill-based as it was around 2020. its pretty much become "do the build that does the thing".

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

That's great; now explain why Doze is six ranks lower than Grim

well, that could have a few explanations

like playing offhour vs play prime time, that would result in losses with bigger rating losses and wins with lower rating gains

could also be how high they finished last season that would result in starting higher in the ladder this season

the placements have really high volatility, the first 3 games the volatility is insane it's often around +-80 to 60 rating, theirs should be lower cuz they higher in the ladder, but it's still prolly double the rating your win/lose compared to the games number 8, 9 and 10 that are aroud 40  to 30 rating, winning the same 7 games could result in a big gap between ratings depending on which games you won/lost. 

So one thing did happen, I was 2 pt away from platinum after a good win streak with few lose, and at that mark, I would win 1 lose 1 so just missing plat by 2 to 4 points, then just out of now where i ended up with about 8 losses in a row, and it really made me question if I started to do something wrong or just got unlucky. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damocles.4908 said:

So one thing did happen, I was 2 pt away from platinum after a good win streak with few lose, and at that mark, I would win 1 lose 1 so just missing plat by 2 to 4 points, then just out of now where i ended up with about 8 losses in a row, and it really made me question if I started to do something wrong or just got unlucky. 

hum, match quality swings hard depending on the time of the day you playing

you could also have lost a few and kept playing tilted while you should have stopped, or played drunk or something like that

or it could be just be bad luck as you mentioned

On 10/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, Damocles.4908 said:

So I want to know if there is a massive difference in skills and gameplay in each tier of pvp? It is a bit of a broad question but if you had /have reached silver, gold, platinum, beyond that does that gameplay and skills change? 

Only real difference is more win trading. 99% of the pvp playerbase in all ranks is just copying some meta build with a 5" high skill ceiling, so there really isn't that much room for high skilled play to become apparent later on.

• Confused 1

On 10/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, Khalisto.5780 said:

hum, match quality swings hard depending on the time of the day you playing

you could also have lost a few and kept playing tilted while you should have stopped, or played drunk or something like that

or it could be just be bad luck as you mentioned

idk - edibles/drunk are usually the times I play best. 

If you find yourself losing two matches in a row though it's probably best to just quit ranked for the night. This is a good indication - at least in my experience - that you're going to go up against the duo's and people intentionally queuing during that playtime because it's easier for them to move up in rank and matchmaking will do everything it can to pit you against people far above your rating because the population is too small and matchmaking is trying to make sure you have a guaranteed loss to keep the ratio in place.

20 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

idk - edibles/drunk are usually the times I play best. 

If you find yourself losing two matches in a row though it's probably best to just quit ranked for the night. This is a good indication - at least in my experience - that you're going to go up against the duo's and people intentionally queuing during that playtime because it's easier for them to move up in rank and matchmaking will do everything it can to pit you against people far above your rating because the population is too small and matchmaking is trying to make sure you have a guaranteed loss to keep the ratio in place.

that's my go to rule when i want to climb, not 2 in a row, but any 2 losses i call it a day, if i keep getting records lower than 50% winrate like 3 days in a row i just stop playing at that time if possible. The matchmaking has been so bad that now i just quit after 2 or 3 onesided matches, even if I win them all, it starts feeling like i could just be not so lucky next few matches and be placed in the losing team, it really feels like a matter of luck sometimes.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

That's great; now explain why Doze is six ranks lower than Grim

I can't for that specific matchup but I know for a fact that the amount of rank points you gain or lose is also biased by the odds of winning based on which profession/specialization you're playing. If you matchmake with a profession that on average suffers the most losses in comparison with other professions, the matchmaker will try to match you with people to balance that and the other team will also be balanced towards your team.

Now if you, already in a match waiting for the cooldown, then swap to a profession that has a much higher win ratio, the odds of winning for your team goes up significantly. If you lose the match with high odds of winning, you will lose more rank points. But if you win with high odds of winning, you will gain less than what you would've lost.

With theory & logic aside, my empirical evidence is from when me and a mate were playing both soulbeasts in ranked pvp. While we would win a lot of matches because of the disgusting delete-burst of 2 soulbeasts, we would gain like 8 on wins and lose like 15 on losses.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Out of curiosity, do we know what the actual population of PvP is right now and in each region and timezone?

I only started getting into PvP recently when they revamped dailies and added the wizard vault. I used to hate the game mode and avoided it like the plague.

Currently at low gold with probably about a 50% win rate. Matches for me are usually either heavily skewed to one team or the other, 500 to 150 about 80% of the time. Only once every 5 or 6 games is a close fight. Sometimes matchmaking feels a bit non-existent, but that would make sense with a very limited pool of players.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 5:09 AM, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Out of curiosity, do we know what the actual population of PvP is right now and in each region and timezone?

I only started getting into PvP recently when they revamped dailies and added the wizard vault. I used to hate the game mode and avoided it like the plague.

Currently at low gold with probably about a 50% win rate. Matches for me are usually either heavily skewed to one team or the other, 500 to 150 about 80% of the time. Only once every 5 or 6 games is a close fight. Sometimes matchmaking feels a bit non-existent, but that would make sense with a very limited pool of players.

The last entry in the leaderboard is like 1420 or something isn't it? 

For reference to be on the leaderboard it used to be like plat 2'ish or somewhere around there. 

Of the ones on the leaderboard you have probably 2-3 alt accounts -

So if I had to guess I'd say probably 300ish NA including non-leaderboard silver/bronze folks. And that's being generous.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i don't understand how players think rank matters in the current meta when its been down to cheese builds and tactics for a long time, not to mention the fact that the matchmaker puts everyone from bronze to platinum in the same game when there's insufficient players online.

honestly, i think pvp is nowhere near as skill-based as it was around 2020. its pretty much become "do the build that does the thing".

well, that is your rank among the usage of cheeze. you can be a good cheezer or a bad cheezer. silver cheezer or a plat cheezer. you see?