Account ID when joinning a guild

Yer.8096

Because people sometimes change their account user, we could get Account ID (GUID) when a player enter on a guild, through guild/log. Its impossible to keep some log or any reliable data if the player just change his account name... Only way to track that is if every player set their API key (where we can get his ID)... Even when we do that, until player set his API key he can change this account name.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think send Account ID after a player accept guild invite could cause any issue, but would help a lot to keep data updated (if a player rejoin the guild, for instance).

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 7:15 AM, DeanBB.4268 said:

Why does this matter? Is this just to avoid inviting people who have been kicked out?

It is a valid request in my opinion. Even if it is to prevent banned members from returning to a guild. For simple guild status checks, say for Discord usage, it's excessive to ask for API keys on everyone. Currently I've been only needing to use my own API key to check our guilds' member lists and just have members use their display name to 'verify' themselves. There are also positive reasons to request this. For example, the name changes affect how we check member status for our giveaways. While we remind members to update their names, I'd hate for one to miss out on a chance to win something because they don't show as a member anymore because they didn't update it in our server, but their loss I suppose, as there is only so much I can do and don't like to force it. Some people don't like having to give their API key out as well. We have a completely separate Discord for our WvW runs to avoid requiring it for everyone to be a part of the main guild server.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 10:15 AM, DeanBB.4268 said:

Why does this matter? Is this just to avoid inviting people who have been kicked out?

The main purpose registering internal ID isn't for banned players, in my case. But our guild used to call people for the name they want, not their account name; we use API to link our players name with their respective account in our application and voice software. We also track who invited who, to help their recruiters tutor new players to familiarize with the game (our players isn't native English speakers, they need a lot of help than people can imagine). And we like to keep record of player preferences when he is invited too... Isn't a routine thing, but we already had a player who is wanting help to understand some game mechanics that we didn't know who was. Turned out his play time wasn't matching those are focused in help "newers" and we had to keep announcing who was "thataccount.0000" for days... And he didn't want to be called that way anymore. With ID, we can check changed account name when need.

But, using banned players as as example... How can you know if the player changed his account name? You cannot know, nowadays. I just asked for a reliable ID (because account name can be changed). That is a common information for any person who develop any application with data management. I think API a great tool and this tool is there for things like that.

Edited by Yer.8096

21 hours ago, Yer.8096 said:

How can you know if the player changed his account name? You cannot know, nowadays.

You're not supposed to know. For guild members? Track changes to the member list. A new name with an old joined date can be matched to an old name.

The account ID would be classed as personal information, so it shouldn't be available without an API key. Create your own ID instead, then you can link account names and account IDs to it. If someone leaves, changes their name and rejoins, you're not supposed to know it's them, but if they tell you they changed their name, you can simply link their current name to their old ID.

On 10/29/2023 at 11:46 AM, Healix.5819 said:

You're not supposed to know. For guild members? Track changes to the member list. A new name with an old joined date can be matched to an old name.

The account ID would be classed as personal information, so it shouldn't be available without an API key. Create your own ID instead, then you can link account names and account IDs to it. If someone leaves, changes their name and rejoins, you're not supposed to know it's them, but if they tell you they changed their name, you can simply link their current name to their old ID.

You may think that is a good idea, but I don't; I don't think that is secure for a player who you don't want to be there. And IDs isn't personal, its a tecnical information. A person can buy another account and still same person... With another ID. I respect your point, tho.