The SotO weapons feel random

Jaken.6801

I understand that the wizards are the great protectors from the shadows, that gather magical artifacts and hide them/use them for good.

However, what i noticed is, that their equipment feels rather random. I think this is the first group who's equipment doesn't really make sense to me. We got weapons that look like toys (skyscale) and some rather weird lightning weapons.

I understand that they might want to create a feeling of we picked the best and they are using their own stuff, but then it's not random enough and it goes against them having a uniform (wizard robes and rift hunter).

On one hand they want to push the new equipment, you can get, however i feel like that is as random. Do we have a place that is lightning based? A specific character that forges with lightning? The skyscales kinda make sense, but then they feel rather niche in terms of design. The shattered ones fit the theme, but i'm unsure how they are connected to the wizards, as we don't have any shattered areas. Most we see isn't destroyed.

Even the new ones with the living eye and tentacle don't fit (yet) as the color sheme isn't there in the art. We got red, brown dark.

I know it's nothing major, but these cracks are the things that pile up and break the experience.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

The thought did occur to me at one point but I hadn't really thought about it till just now.

In HoT we were stranded and thus we had weapons made out of scrap and other made out of the local wildlife.
In PoF we had weapons suitable for the Elonian and the desert in addition to Joko and undeath
In EoD we had Jade and Asian theme themed weapons
In IBS we had norn and weapons suitable to the cold north

However in Soto those light based weapons don't fit it's not like we see a bunch of wizards totting those weapons around. The demon weapons are fine I suppose since they are new but the lot that initially launched with Soto don't fit.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Doam.8305 said:

The thought did occur to me at one point but I hadn't really thought about it till just now.

In HoT we were stranded and thus we had weapons made out of scrap and other made out of the local wildlife.
In PoF we had weapons suitable for the Elonian and the desert in addition to Joko and undeath
In EoD we had Jade and Asian theme themed weapons
In IBS we had norn and weapons suitable to the cold north

However in Soto those light based weapons don't fit it's not like we see a bunch of wizards totting those weapons around. The demon weapons are fine I suppose since they are new but the lot that initially launched with Soto don't fit.

Is there a way to somehow view weapon collections based on their associated campaign? I definetly noticed the theme in PoF with Arabic & African weapons. But i must have missed it in IBS and HOT.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, RagiNagi.1802 said:

Is there a way to somehow view weapon collections based on their associated campaign? I definetly noticed the theme in PoF with Arabic & African weapons. But i must have missed it in IBS and HOT.

Cheers.

Google - GW2 HoT weapon sets

IBS was grindy and god awful compared to the expansions. However Arenanet stated they wanted a living world on par with an expansion. Thus you need to grind for it but Boreal and Boneskinner weapons come to mind. 

HoT is number one in this regard that expansion had a ton of problems at launch so people back then overlooked the smaller things as they huffed it 15 miles uphill both ways on foot pre-nerf through a jungle of  glitches and death. These days players have mounts and powercreep and can take in the whole survivor asthetic. Plated, machine, and reclaimed give that scavenger weapon vibe after the destruction. Then Auric and Chak are a mix of finding local tools and harvesting bugs for tools. Finally Mordrem weapons are those of the enemys that you took for yourself. Unlike the other expansions you start of left to your own devices at the start and have to rebuild and the weapons reflect your situation.

Edited by Doam.8305

I felt similarly about the Rift Hunter armour.

Looks out of place and seems below average in terms of quality.

My theory is that these are the end times, money is tight and these weapon sets were just lying around, half finished and gathering dust in the art department.

This would explain the random and ill-fitting inclusion of them in SotO.

They might have been influenced by the fact that SoTO is just a "mixtape" of GW2 greatest "hits".

Overall it comes off as lazy and under par.

Edited by Mimizu.7340
speeling
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1