Every few weeks redownloading the entire game.

6 minutes ago, Elshrimpo.8406 said:

Why does it do that?

No idea without further details...

Have you installed the game under C:\Program Files\ per chance? If so, move it into a separate games folder (e.g., C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\ ) outside of Program Files, which is a system folder and might cause issues regarding user rights.

P.S. I presume you have not downloaded it into the Temps folder or the Desktop, because that would be even worse than Program Files. 😄

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Elshrimpo.8406 said:

Lol, No, it's already installed into C:\Games\Guild Wars2

you might not have write access to anywhere but your user folder as a normal user (and shouldn't be playing the game as an administrator). you need to install it to your desktop or in documents, unless you've specifically given yourself write access to that location as an administrator.

(i'm not sure why someone said this would cause a problem, it won't and is the recommended way to install older applications like guild wars that need write access to their files; e.g, discord installs itself entirely in the user folder too.)

this game isn't read-only like other games, it needs to write to its gw2.dat file every update.

furthermore if the game is regularly losing its metadata it means your disk might have problems, or its crashing during an update and corrupting itself. either way it suggests some kind of issue with system stability that is likely invisible to you otherwise.

right-click on command prompt and run as administrator, then type "chkdsk /f" (and schedule for next startup) and then "sfc /scannow". if these show any signs of corruption then there's likely some kind of hardware issue going on that needs to be fixed before patching the game.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Elshrimpo.8406 said:

Lol, No, it's already installed into C:\Games\Guild Wars2

Have you tried a different partition than C:\ ?

As I stated in my first response, it is very hard to give valid advice when you don't tell us anything about your system. Which OS are you using (e.g., Windows 10 Professional)? Does your user account have administrative rights?

9 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

furthermore if the game is regularly losing its metadata it means your disk might have problems, or its crashing during an update and corrupting itself. either way it suggests some kind of issue with system stability that is likely invisible to you otherwise.

right-click on command prompt and run as administrator, then type "chkdsk /f" (and schedule for next startup) and then "sfc /scannow". if these show any signs of corruption then there's likely some kind of hardware issue going on that needs to be fixed before patching the game.

@Elshrimpo.8406 For a full guide on how to use SFC and other tools, check this thread.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I will attempt a couple of these things tomorrow. I only have the  c:\ unless you mean external harddrives.
I have Windows 11 Home.

I have tried to reinstall it from Program files to a diff subfolder, to no avail.
Currently trying to see if playing the game in administrator mode helps the issue.
I'll be able to tell in a couple of weeks if the issue returns or doesnt.

I am using Launchbuddy tho.

So are you suggesting I install the game in C:\Users\Name\Documents\Guild Wars 2 ?
Thank you for the help so far! Let's see if it helps

Edit: I do have administrator perms on this account.
Edit 2: sfc /scannow Found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
Edit 3: chkdsk /f Didnt give me any error or so, so we'll see if anything changes.

Edited by Elshrimpo.8406
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Was working great 3 hrs ago. Logged out. Logged back in just now. gotta redownload the entire 670.000 files again.£
I will move the gw2 install folder to somewhere else.

Will try putting it into a diff drive. I only have external drives besides my C drive tho.
This blows >_>

I did copy my guild wars folder to a diff map, so I can have that as a backup. I copy and pasted into the alr existed folder and it did nothing.

I just found out my .DAT file is in TEMP??
Why he do that. >_> Aight, i'm moving that kitten after installing

found the bug. Launchbuddy set client file in the TEMP folder isntead of the Games folder. i'm sure that'll fix it.

Edited by Elshrimpo.8406
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1