Idea for total mastery points

teuffel.4769

Hello !

I have an idea about the total mastery points (MP) showcase.
Currently, max MP is showed based on max MP required to max all mastery tracks. At the moment, 530 with SOTO.
But total MP that can be earned is currently 686.

I think it would be really nice that the total MP showcase is the total MP earned on your account. That would actually give a value to keep getting the MP you are missing and would get people to explore and maximize this type of content as well. As someone who have nothing much left to do in the game that is new and unique and enjoy PvE content, it would give some purpose in trying to get all MP in the game. Currently it's just sitting in unused mastery panel giving nothing more than being there when you are at max mastery, so there's not really any motivation to get more.

There would be 2 options for that:

1. Total MP shown should be your total MP earned on your account.
(but that would mean MP shown are not necessarily MP used in mastery track, so it goes against current system, maybe not the best solution)

2.Total MP shown should be your total MP used in mastery track + MP earned after you have unlock all MP of each expansions track. 
Ex, after a player complete all 49 Tyria MP for the tracks, it unlocks the remaining 34 MP of Tyria available to be added to the total MP shown once unlocked.

That would get the max MP showcase to be 686 instead of 530. I don't think it's hard to make it happen and it would be nice for people enjoying MP farming or just give purpose to getting them all, it would be fun! I don't see any drawbacks to this.

Hope I'm clear enough  😅  Let me know what you think!

AP. You're talking about AP. No thanks. Being in the 530 club is one of the few things I have that is 'prestigious' without being a hardcore player. I don't care to take the time to get those other 156 mastery points that I will not be able to spend or use. If you want big numbers as bragging rights, that's what the AP is for.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Nothing is stopping a player from pursuing all available MP. Why does displaying it matter?

Actually, I'm not sure what displaying it at all matters. 🤷‍♂️

Displaying it is mini-prestige. That's about it. Although back in the days when raiding was still new and the max AP was lower, people were able to parse whether or not they had the necessary masteries for raiding. That was probably the only real functional purpose of displayed AP.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Absolutely not. The number represents the skills you have mastered through spent points not the amount of points you have accumulated. 
There should not be any incentive to gain excess beyond associated AP which already exists. 

Why ? Why does it matter if that would be the case ? Extra points are already in the game, it just give a purpose for players that want to collect them all, it doesn't change anything for players who don't want to do it? Some mastery point are very hard to get and it actually showcase some abilities if you do, current system doesn't differentiate a mastery point that took 2 sec to get (mastery insight) and mastery point that took weeks to get.

14 minutes ago, teuffel.4769 said:

Why ? Why does it matter if that would be the case ? Extra points are already in the game, it just give a purpose for players that want to collect them all, it doesn't change anything for players who don't want to do it? Some mastery point are very hard to get and it actually showcase some abilities if you do, current system doesn't differentiate a mastery point that took 2 sec to get (mastery insight) and mastery point that took weeks to get.

Because it turns the system into a “must get them all” in order to show a higher level of horizontal progression. It doesn’t in the slightest bit make sense to change it to such an arbitrary representation. The number shows your mastery skill level and the points you have invested into making your character “better”.  The entire point of having excess is to give options and to avoid a situation where players feel they may have to get the extra mastery points - something players have expressed strongly before there already aren’t enough options for. The fact that some take longer to get are already reflected by the number of achievement points you get.

There is simply no gain, no benefit and no point in changing to reflect overall points gained Vs points spent on masteries - which are a soft level gain and make sense in the current context. It would no longer make sense if it represented overall points gained, even if unspent. It could even create a situation where the points do not reflect the masteries gained. Someone could have 100 points, but not spent it on any masteries and yet be mastery level 100. That goes against the entire point of the system.

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You already have a purpose to collect them all.  Your own satisfaction.  There's no real need to show that off.

That can be said for a lot of things in the game, but still it exist lol. Like Titles.

They already show the total mastery point at 530, it's already there that should not be an argument. I'm just talking about increasing it to the max.

7 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The fact that some take longer to get are already reflected by the number of achievement points you get.

Achievement points system is totally inconsistent. You can grind something for weeks and get 1 AP, then you do 1 event of Halloween festival and get 50 AP. Make sens.

8 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It would no longer make sense if it represented overall points gained, even if unspent. It could even create a situation where the points do not reflect the masteries gained. Someone could have 100 points, but not spent it on any masteries and yet be mastery level 100. That goes against the entire point of the system.

That's why I said option 1 was not the best. But option 2 does take that into account.

9 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The entire point of having excess is to give options and to avoid a situation where players feel they may have to get the extra mastery points

That still would be the case because it gives no advantage of doing the extras outside of tracks, it's just a matter of showing some achievements. But I get your point.