Looking for good core builds

ImperialGoat.8607

Hey Everyone, I'm new to GW2 and have had fun playing mesmer to hit level 80. I'm looking for good core mesmer builds for fractals and open world. I know core mesmer is pretty weak, but i'll buy expansions next sale, and want to do endgame content till then. 

Thanks in advance!!

Fortunately for you, core mesmer happens to be my primary build. UNfortunately for you, I have no idea how to share it. So let's try just copying and pasting....

[&DQcKGi0ZFz1uAW4BawFrAYEBZgGCAYIB7RLtEgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACWQBaAAA=]

...yeah, that worked about as well as I expected. Good luck with that!

Metabattle: Core Power Mesmer

Snowcrows doesn't have any core builds, so there's that.

When you get the expansions I'd suggest working on the (PoF) Mirage spec first. It's the most solo-friendly for open world, mostly because it's so mobile it doesn't get hit much. The other two are good choices, but playing solo, Mirage will keep you alive longer than the other two will.

6 minutes ago, ImperialGoat.8607 said:

@ShadowKatt.6740Thanks, but that unfortunately doesnt seem to include gear. Do you use full berserkers or some other combination? also, do you use this build universally or for specific modes only?

Oh, well that's easy. I run FULL CELESTIAL! Armor, accessories, weapons, the whole shebang. It's absolutely not the strongest build out there and if I was running zerk or viper I could have higher benchmarks, sure. But I still do everything, in every xpac, as a core mesmer. I use a staff and dual swords. Don't use the swords nearly as often but they're there for when someone doesn't get the point.

You have stated you are a F2P player who's interested in doing Fractals. There are a couple of things you need to understand about your position: First, since you're a F2P, it's very likely your Trading Post access is blocked, so it'll take you a bit more effort to gather the gear. Second, since it's also very likely that it's impossible for you to acquire a full Ascended set of armor being a F2P account, you won't make it past Fractal tier 1 as the Agony system demands that you have the Ascended gear to continue. 

With that said, Fractal heavily favors power builds over condi builds. Even in the open world, power builds are still more preferred over condi. So if you're going power, I recommend the old 3-sword power build. Something like this. You should have access to Thief relic IIRC, and I left the Sigils blank since I'm not sure how accessible those are to a F2P account. 

You can easily get a full set of Berserker's armor and weapon from dungeons now (dungeon currency is universal now, you can run the easier dungeons and buy these from Arah). Or alternatively, you can buy a full set of armor from temple vendors like this one. I don't know where to go for trinkets if not from TP, sorry. 

1 hour ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

You can easily get a full set of Berserker's armor and weapon from dungeons now (dungeon currency is universal now, you can run the easier dungeons and buy these from Arah). Or alternatively, you can buy a full set of armor from temple vendors like this one. I don't know where to go for trinkets if not from TP, sorry. 

Just a reminder: OP if you go this route be aware that because you buy it with Karma, any upgrades you slot into Temple Armor are not removable.

When you put runes in those pieces, they're not coming out again so be sure that runeset is what you really want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It might be a bit biased but I would not recommend using core unless you wanted to play something like a support in WvW. 

Mesmer is built on the traits you pick. Playing a power build without Domination will cut your DPS in half. Mesmer is all about compounding effects. The reason Chronomancer is a preferred power build is becouse you can cram phantasms with many trait buffs into a small window.

That upper end of gameplay Mesmer becomes a time traveling wizard of DPS.