Unlocking precursor weapon skins?

Hi! I have searched a little and can't seem to find a straightforward answer, so I figured I'd give the forums a shot. I have managed to acquire two precursor weapons for legendaries that I would like to eventually craft once I get the remaining stuff I need. However, I'm a huge completionist and have been on a crusade to expand my wardrobe in the spirit of fashion wars. Can I safely use precursors on my characters (without stat swapping ofc) or at least unlock their skins and still use them in legendary crafting later on?

Yes you can use them. If they're gen 1 precursors they'll be exotic which means they'll be soulbound to the character who uses them, but that just means that character will have to be the one to do the final step to make the legendary, which is done in the Mystic Forge, not crafting, so any character can do it. (All the other components are account bound too.)

The only thing you can't do with a precursor is change the stats in the Mystic Forge because the name is somewhat misleading - stat changing actually replaces the entire item with a generic ascended item of the same type. (You might find references to stat changing gen 1 precursors as well, but that's impossible now. It was another name for reskinning items, before the wardrobe came along.)