Sword nerf necessary? - March 19 Balance Update

Morglum.3129

Sword had a cool and unique mechanic, arenanet nerf it into none existence, making sword super boring. Yeah thats modern anet for you. Remember when gw2 was praise for its amazing combat system? Arenanet is destroying it right now, everything get simplier and moreboring with each patch. Im seeing the deconstruction of thise once amazing game... anet is in a crusade to make this game boring for about 3 to 4 years...

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

The reason for the nerf is the craziest part, "To prevent people camping AA". That's just not true, no one really did that unless they couldn't be bothered to play the game at the time. 

And with Holo in particular the heat mechanic is an built-in incentive to avoid camping AA for extended periods of time. And the fact they didn't even compensate it in PvP/WvW is the cherry on the top.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

The reason for the nerf is the craziest part, "To prevent people camping AA". That's just not true, no one really did that unless they couldn't be bothered to play the game at the time. 

And with Holo in particular the heat mechanic is an built-in incentive to avoid camping AA for extended periods of time. And the fact they didn't even compensate it in PvP/WvW is the cherry on the top.

For PVE, the autoing is how it was playing out.  Getting 3 sword2’s above 100heat was key and to do that you’d need 2 auto chains between them leaving very little time for any other skills otherwise that third sw2 would be below 100 heat losing the extra blades and a good chunk of damage.  These changes should make room for sliding in some other skills and still getting the third sw2 in.  

The PVP nerf I have no comment on, but for PVE this change should be a good thing.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jerus.4350 said:

For PVE, the autoing is how it was playing out.  Getting 3 sword2’s above 100heat was key and to do that you’d need 2 auto chains between them leaving very little time for any other skills otherwise that third sw2 would be below 100 heat losing the extra blades and a good chunk of damage.  These changes should make room for sliding in some other skills and still getting the third sw2 in.  

The PVP nerf I have no comment on, but for PVE this change should be a good thing.

Well yeah, but it would cut down on a lot of damage considering all the other dps skills available. Plus 2 AA chain is not bad if you consider you need to use multiple other skills to get and maintain that. It's not like you can just perma camp AA and it's fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Well yeah, but it would cut down on a lot of damage considering all the other dps skills available. Plus 2 AA chain is not bad if you consider you need to use multiple other skills to get and maintain that. It's not like you can just perma camp AA and it's fine. 

Yeah, we're not talking Hammer Guard levels of Autoing, it's just that the framework of how ECSU Holo was played you were spending more time autoing outside forge than anything else, and doing anything else was likely a DPS loss because of how good sw2 is above 100 heat.  This change should allow more freedom to skip an auto chain in favor of other skills (like all the newly buffed ones) without missing that third sw2 above 100 heat.

• 3 weeks later...

This change is totally mind boggling - sword isn't competitive with hammer on ease of use or damage - yet they nerf it hard. I see the other skills cds reduced by default, but it still makes it worse off, even with coefficient increased we will see a worse flow and lower damage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noxin.9276 said:

This change is totally mind boggling - sword isn't competitive with hammer on ease of use or damage - yet they nerf it hard. I see the other skills cds reduced by default, but it still makes it worse off, even with coefficient increased we will see a worse flow and lower damage.

The cooldown reductions should have applied to all game modes to begin with, but even with that the other changes are not enough compensation, they said they want to avoid people camping sword, but that's clearly not that, it's a nerf. I hope they realize that and either pull back the change all together or provide adequate compensation.

For me personally this has potential to hurt my quickness uptime in PvE and I'm not about that... I'm sure everyone has their reasons to dislike this change, as you said, lower damage and worse flow is part of it, since I doubt the new CDs are thought out to match properly, but one thing is obvious, no one agrees with what they're doing here.

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 2

Was this really done to prevent camping AA?

Let me get this straight... To make Sword AA less... you nerf the CDR, giving us one less mechanic to manage, fewer skills to use, and lower APM. 

Resulting in sword having to sit there and AA more while skills are on CD. 

Everytime Anet nerfs something on Engi to promote more skillful play, they remove skillful play. 

This is why I gave up and havent logged in months now. Will check back in a few more months to see if Anet gets their gears in order. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Was this really done to prevent camping AA?

Let me get this straight... To make Sword AA less... you nerf the CDR, giving us one less mechanic to manage, fewer skills to use, and lower APM. 

Resulting in sword having to sit there and AA more while skills are on CD. 

Everytime Anet nerfs something on Engi to promote more skillful play, they remove skillful play. 

This is why I gave up and havent logged in months now. Will check back in a few more months to see if Anet gets their gears in order. 

At least now AA promotes the use of the other Sword skills, if that goes through it's just going to feel off and if they want the damage to stay relatively the same they'll need to increase AA coefficiency or further reduce the other CDs which won't happen.

I don't understand, when did anyone complain about Sword? When was it wrong to camp AA for literally a couple of cycles? Because I doubt people camped it for any longer than that. There're literally much worse cases of AA camping in the game.

Sword has 0 flow, literally, the skills feel so disconnected. We used to be able to gain Refraction Cutter after 2 AA chains on the spot and now it still has 1 sec CD left after that, during which you debate if you should wait or do another AA chain. Radiant Arc feels like it doubled in CD even though it technically has lower CD now, it's ridiculous, these changes are not thought out properly, this doesn't incentivize less use of AA, this makes the sword feel janky and disconnected, skills don't line up and I feel no impulse to avoid camping AA at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:06 AM, Morglum.3129 said:

As expected the change is terrible in PvP as well. Even more Holosmiths will just use Hammer now.

Yeah... after playing with it for these couple days I'm still not convinced this change did us any good, it's a straight nerf to a weapon which was already outclassed in most cases by hammer.

The change fails in every single aspect, it fails to do what the devs purposed it for, lessen the use of AA, it seemingly did the opposite,  meanwhile Sword lost it's rhythm and (at least to me, I haven't crunched any numbers) feels like it lost DPS and Quickness generation.

I doubt the Balance team understands any of this, and instead of listening to their players that in many cases know the weapon like the back of their hand they leave stuff like this to go through, because they know better ofc...

But I'm not surprised, Sword has been bugged for many of you since August and instead of fixing it they're introducing more bugs to it on top of nerfing it. Thanks devs....

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 4