Bought GW1 how to add to GW2 account

Hello everyone,
Just bought GW1, got a code, went to Redeem Code and got an error message:

The serial code given was not recognized by our system. Please try again.

Can't seem to get it working no matter what I do, yes I quadruple checked if it's copy-pasting correctly, yes I tried it everywhere.
Do I have to create a new account for GW1, activate that account with the code, and then link the accounts together?

49 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Hello everyone,
Just bought GW1, got a code, went to Redeem Code and got an error message:

The serial code given was not recognized by our system. Please try again.

Can't seem to get it working no matter what I do, yes I quadruple checked if it's copy-pasting correctly, yes I tried it everywhere.
Do I have to create a new account for GW1, activate that account with the code, and then link the accounts together?

There's a guide on this.  Ignore the parts about Steam (unless your GW2 account is a Steam account, in which case you can't do any linking.)

Basically you create a new account in GW1 with the same email address that you use for GW2.  You then enter the serial code in-game in GW1.  You do not enter the GW1 serial code on the GW2 accounts page.  GW1 codes are always handled through GW1.

I have a non-Steam Guild Wars 2 account and want to buy Guild Wars on Steam. How do I make sure the accounts are linked?

Create a new Guild Wars account as normal using the instructions above, but use your Guild Wars 2 login details on the last step when asked for your email address and password. Your accounts should then be linked automatically.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238445792#250598

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

Additional tip, you'll probably want to download the entire GW1 game first using the -image command line.  GW1 was designed originally for way slower Internet speeds and bandwidth so it defaults to downloading parts of the game "as needed", which causes rather long loading screens as you play.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-image

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies- I found this via googling and it helped me out, but I'm having an issue of my own if someone is able to help.
When I create an account in the GW1 client and try to tie it to my GW2 account, I get this error:
Network Error .
Please check your connection to the Internet and try again
Code: 4294967

According to the error's page, this is cause I'm trying to create an account that wouldn't give me access to any of the 3 main campaigns- but the access code is for the Complete Edition.
Any idea what might be causing this?

14 minutes ago, RedMckenzie.8751 said:

Thanks for the replies- I found this via googling and it helped me out, but I'm having an issue of my own if someone is able to help.
When I create an account in the GW1 client and try to tie it to my GW2 account, I get this error:
Network Error .

According to the error's page, this is cause I'm trying to create an account that wouldn't give me access to any of the 3 main campaigns- but the access code is for the Complete Edition.

Is your GW2 account from Steam?

It could be that you need to contact support if the key really is for Complete Collection.  There could be something wrong with your GW2 account.

Edited by Chaba.5410

54 minutes ago, RedMckenzie.8751 said:

Network Error .

Just in case...are you following these instructions?

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230900328-Linking-your-Guild-Wars-Guild-Wars-2-Accounts

10 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I thought that too, but when I try logging in to GW1, I get another error saying my email address can't be found.
Even more strangely the error is blank- like it says something along the line of 'your email address: "" can't be found' (I can't currently check the error as I am using the -image command to fully update the game)
It's leaving me at a loss.

Or perhaps you mean I can't reuse the email address on my GW2 account for the GW1 account?

Edited by RedMckenzie.8751

7 minutes ago, RedMckenzie.8751 said:

Or perhaps you mean I can't reuse the email address on my GW2 account for the GW1 account?

You can use the same email addresses.

I assume what you did was create a new account in GW1, not simply tried to log into GW1 with your GW2 credentials, yes?  If you try to log into GW1 and it says your email address can't be found, that may be the issue.  Somehow your GW1 account is not being created.

15 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

You can use the same email addresses.

I assume what you did was create a new account in GW1, not simply tried to log into GW1 with your GW2 credentials, yes?  If you try to log into GW1 and it says your email address can't be found, that may be the issue.  Somehow your GW1 account is not being created.

Try to, anyway. I get the error I mentioned (Code 4294967) while trying to create my GW1 account in the client. That's why I thought Inculpatus might be right- that the error was happening because I am trying to add content I already own to an account I forgot about or something. But since the clients telling me there's no account associated with that email address (sort of) I am confused.
Worse comes to worse I could just use an alternate email to link my GW2 account; though I'd prefer not to if I can help that.

EDIT: The exact error message is 'The email address "" was not found.' followed by instructions to either try again or create a Guild Wars account.
I presume the "" is suppose to show my email address between the quotes, but is just blank instead.

Edited by RedMckenzie.8751

Hmm...

1. Download the Guild Wars client.
  2. Run GwSetup.exe to install the Guild Wars client on your PC.
  3. At the log-in screen, click the "Create Account or Add Access Key" link.
  4. Enter your Access Key and follow the registration directions.

You don't get the 'Add Access Key' prompt?

If you continue to have issue(s), contact the CS Team (if you haven't already).

Edit:  Right now there are some bugs/errors going on with different parts of purchasing, etc.  That may be contributing to the issue. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Hmm...

1. Download the Guild Wars client.
  2. Run GwSetup.exe to install the Guild Wars client on your PC.
  3. At the log-in screen, click the "Create Account or Add Access Key" link.
  4. Enter your Access Key and follow the registration directions.

You don't get the 'Add Access Key' prompt?

If you continue to have issue(s), contact the CS Team (if you haven't already).

I can get to the part where I attempt to redeem the access code- I put in the code, it tells me it's for the complete edition, I press the 'add access key' button, then it asks me to put in my email address and password (which I do) and when I try to create the account I get the Error Code 4294967 and am unable to create an account.

More or less the confusion is the error code is, according to the error codes listed on their support site, caused by trying to add a serial number that doesn't give you access to a campaign on an account without access to one in the first place (IE, making a fresh account and only adding the Eye of the North expansion to it) but the serial code is for the Complete Edition.

I've already submitted to the CS team; so hopefully they can fix it for me- or at least tell me what's going on. Hopefully something simple to fix!

30 minutes ago, RedMckenzie.8751 said:

I put in the code, it tells me it's for the complete edition, I press the 'add access key' button, then it asks me to put in my email address and password (which I do) and when I try to create the account I get the Error Code 4294967 and am unable to create an account.

One of the things I came across while researching your issue was someone having this problem and it was due to there being some sort of lock on their GW2 account which was preventing the linking.  Support cleared whatever the problem was and they were able to proceed.

For posterity, let us know what support says about your issue.  xD

Edited by Chaba.5410

So to update on this for those who might have a similar issue:
I, unfortunately, wasn't able to get any help from the CS team for a few reasons I won't get into here (not their fault, I'll say that much)
So what I ended up doing was adding the code to an alternate email address I have, then adding THAT account to my main GW2 account, which worked fine.

Still not sure what caused my original issue, but that's a work around for anyone who suffers a similar fate.

4 hours ago, RedMckenzie.8751 said:

So to update on this for those who might have a similar issue:
I, unfortunately, wasn't able to get any help from the CS team for a few reasons I won't get into here (not their fault, I'll say that much)
So what I ended up doing was adding the code to an alternate email address I have, then adding THAT account to my main GW2 account, which worked fine.

Still not sure what caused my original issue, but that's a work around for anyone who suffers a similar fate.

I think the email you use to login to gw1 get merged into the gw2 login so if you try to use the same before that it errors out.