Tower of Nightmares is not populated enough for it to be a needed story step.

The Tower of Nightmares while its somewhat populated when the timer for it is up is way too underpopulated for it be a required story step. I know you only need around 8 events in there for the story step but for a solo player that can already be hard. Also there is a way to get around it with spore samples but not sure about that.

The Tower either needs a solo version, or the public/squad version needs to scale better with the amount of players around. 

Edit: you can get around by donating spore samples but you need quite a lot of them.

Edited by Raseus.2543
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

From the Wiki:

This story directs you to play through the The Tower of Nightmares explorable, refer to that article and particularly the event pages for further guidance. Keep note that you do NOT need to complete the entire tower nor reach the top. You only need to do 8 events in the zone. In the case of being unable to continue due to lack of players, it is viable to simply leave and restart to complete the first level's events again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

i've done this many times and you can duo everything up until the last boss ,which needs three players for comfort and one of them ideally a healer. this is a guild-based game and anyone who can't find that many allies should definitely be joining a guild.

arenanet already provided you a way to solo it for those who don't like social interactions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I'd like to see it adjusted as well, it would be nice if anet considered the fact that content will not always be well populated after the initial (re)release, but I don't think it's likely that they will revisit this at this point . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i've done this many times and you can duo everything up until the last boss ,which needs three players for comfort and one of them ideally a healer. this is a guild-based game and anyone who can't find that many allies should definitely be joining a guild.

arenanet already provided you a way to solo it for those who don't like social interactions.

I'm talking from a new player point of view, someone just finishing personal story and starting s1. All the story is easily soloable except towers of nightmare and its a nightmare for new players. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Raseus.2543 said:

I'm talking from a new player point of view, someone just finishing personal story and starting s1. All the story is easily soloable except towers of nightmare and its a nightmare for new players. 

that's why i said its important to join a guild in this game, so they can teach you how to play, especially since later story missions are on the same difficulty level as tower of nightmares, especially during heart of thorns and some parts of path of fire.

i feel like only the level 1-80 personal story is easily soloable by someone who doesn't understand the game. i once saw a thread of someone who had wiped nearly a hundred times on the molten alliance minibosses in the first chapter of living world season 1, and after some advice given here they went back and cleared it in a single attempt; and that's what guilds are good for, because we can't rely on everyone using the forums or reddit.

we have to remember the skill gap in this game is massive and the only way to bridge that gap is to pass our knowledge down.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

that's why i said its important to join a guild in this game, so they can teach you how to play, especially since later story missions are on the same difficulty level as tower of nightmares, especially during heart of thorns and some parts of path of fire.

i feel like only the level 1-80 personal story is easily soloable by someone who doesn't understand the game. i once saw a thread of someone who had wiped nearly a hundred times on the molten alliance minibosses in the first chapter of living world season 1, and after some advice given here they went back and cleared it in a single attempt; and that's what guilds are good for, because we can't rely on everyone using the forums or reddit.

we have to remember the skill gap in this game is massive and the only way to bridge that gap is to pass our knowledge down.

You really should not need a group event to finish an story, or group instance. Yes later story is harder that is true, but I would not say as bad as the tower. It has so many mobs, lots of the elite, lots of aoe from both the lasers and the exploding plants. If its not hardest story content its the most annoying and you really don't want new player getting annoyed at that point. Telling them to find a guild or wait for the timer to pop doesn't help. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1