Player Draw Distance - There's No Point In 3rd Person POV if we can't see 30 yards ahead of us

In both PVE&WVW i've taken notice to the ever-shrinking draw distance of players. It wasn't always THIS bad. 
I've been playing since the day the game launched. The problem was really bad back then. But they fixed it at a certain point around 2018. and the distance was really, really far.
Like i could see players in the coop of a nearby keep.

They've been sneakily reducing it

And now the distance is so incredibly short, i can't even see what what people are doing who are fighting the same world boss as i am
In WvW the implications are obvious  .. Now, every siege machines distance outreaches the player draw distance
This GREATLY encourges glob play - as the counter to blobs is having a network of siege machines. 
Now, a glob travels across the map, from keep to keep, and even as players stand watch upon seiege machines, the glob doesnt fall within the render distance, effectively making most of WvW mechanics REDUNDANT.

I suspect by 2026, the draw distance will be no longer than the average render distance within an isometric MMORPG (like lost ARK)

In fact, i'd already be more comfortable if this could be played from an isometric POV - its just silly to look out into a blank, unpopulated landscape only to see things render within a quarter length of a football field.
Srsly anet?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 16

It hasn't changed even once in the game's history. The range is still 5,000 units for players outside of your party, and infinite range for players in your party. The 5,000 unit draw distance is a hard-coded limit for dynamic entities such as players, with players in your party allowed to render out further as an exception (but they stop being entities you can interact with after 5,000 range). You could construct an argument that 5,000 units feels like a shorter distance these days with the introduction of mounts, both in PvE and in WvW; but the actual draw distance has never changed, it's a fundamental component of the game engine.

Edited by Shaman.2034
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shaman.2034 said:

It hasn't changed even once in the game's history. The range is still 5,000 units for players outside of your party, and infinite range for players in your party. The 5,000 unit draw distance is a hard-coded limit for dynamic entities such as players, with players in your party allowed to render out further as an exception (but they stop being entities you can interact with after 5,000 range). You could construct an argument that 5,000 units feels like a shorter distance these days with the introduction of mounts, both in PvE and in WvW; but the actual draw distance has never changed, it's a fundamental component of the game engine.

OP's likely confusing draw distance with culling. Of course, that mechanics has changed in game history only two times so far, as far as i remember, so there's no gradual change for it either. First when they reworked it and made it work way better looooooong ago because it started impacting WvW to a very unhealthy degree (fighting with invisible enemy zergs in SM was soo much fun then [/s]). Second time when they introduced the character limit options.

And since we're speaking about character limit options, @Invoker.5462 should better check what that option is set for them. Because the most likely case of the issues mentioned is that it's set too low.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I've problems to determine whether the mounted player jumping towards me (I stand still) is an ally or a foe because the range the name/title loads is so short... almost dismount range. I can see players from afar but I don't know if they are green names or red names. Or green dots or red/blue triangles. Both loads slow.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 3