[spvp/wvw] Anyone feel underwhelmed with 1-handers?

Saiyan.1704

As a power burst WB, Sword/Sword feels excellent. Sword/Pistol feels good too--- a single button press to deal 4k+ range damage and I can do it a second time, is quite rewarding. But any other combination of X/Sword or X/Pistol feels incredibly underwhelming.

- Mainhand pistol#2 is a 3k damage tickle. Once you use it, that's basically it. You're done with the weaponset because P#3 is just a burn cleave utility. I understand that maybe mainhand pistols isn't meant for power builds but... what else is there?

- Scepter#2's full damage only happens when players afk on the symbol. Feels very similiar to P#3's symbol usages. Sce#3 can CC and helps when some one is running away at mid range. You basically trade a midrange low damage Pistol for a mid range CC..

-Mace actually wouldn't be a bad slot if Mace#3's Protector Strike's counter animation just happened quicker. As an example a Mesmer can burst over M#3 and you could die before the Mace animation finalizes the damage & aegis proc. This is also one of the reasons why WB's Reversal of Fortune's healing is bad. If a burst class uses back-to-back burst skills quickly then your heal won't go off fast enough because of the split second animation.

-Axe was made for FB... WB doesn't have the axe stun trait and WB only has the elite quickness to make axe attack quicker. Without more access to quickness, axe is a sluggish weapon with a pull cc.

As a meme test I tried Sword/Pistol + Sword/Sword and... didn't notice a difference in performance compared to slotting any other 1-hander main weapon. The exception being Mace, it was actually not bad. When Mace worked, it was a fast 6k aoe weapon.

• Thanks 1

Mainhand pistol so far primarily feels like PvE Condi weapon. Could work in PvP modes if you were able to somehow lock enemy inside symbol of ignition (pistol#2 seems purposefully made to be triggering the symbol on enemies inside it)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

Mainhand pistol so far primarily feels like PvE Condi weapon. Could work in PvP modes if you were able to somehow lock enemy inside symbol of ignition (pistol#2 seems purposefully made to be triggering the symbol on enemies inside it)

The only time I ever thought it was useful was when I was fighting Engi's, oddly enough. I would bring a Scrapper down below 20%, he pops reflects and kites away but doesn't expect a 3k Peacekeeper to land. This little interaction has happened more than once but it doesn't warrant the slot.

I've been using mace lately lol. I understand why WvW 1v1 Guards use it in their duels (many of them are excellent duelist). I have gripes about the animation of protector's strike but I've gotten better at using it in spvp.

Edited by Saiyan.1704