Speculation About The Roaring Creature

mandala.8507

This post will be talking both about current lore and Janthir Wilds stuff we know so far, so if you're avoiding all that info, be warned; go no further.

Now, in the announcement video we hear the roar of a creature not shown in the video. I want to hazard a guess at what it might be.

So, we all know that this expansion is revisiting much of season 3 and raids 1-4 lore/world-building, and this of course features heavily the influence of the Mursaat. SotO gave us insight into one of the major mysteries from that period of the game, Deimos (who ended up being a Kryptis Lord).

I was thinking about it and did a bit of research, and there's another creature from that period of the game that we still know very little about: Samarog. While I didn't quite get the eureka moment I was looking for when I compared the roar from the J-Wilds video to his cutscene, it wasn't a complete sonic mismatch, imo. Additionally, he was a prisoner of the Mursaat for some reason we still have not discovered. Could it be that in Janthir Wilds we will encounter more creatures like Samarog, and could the creature whose roar we hear in the announcement trailer be one of those creatures? Are those horns in the shadow falling at our feet?

Am I on to something or totally delusional? Let me know.

Also, Samarog is the defacto spear god of GW2, so...he fits perfectly.

My guess is we are facing the titans from GW1.

We saw those "stone" creatures in the trailer in different sizes. Titans in GW1 split into smaller versions after getting killed.

In same scenes we saw those pillars, similar to Kralk's branded pillars. Those remind me of the structures of the door of komalie - a portal to the foundry of failed creations where the titans dwell.

And at last, a charr said in the trailer "a false god". Guess who was worshipped by the charr ages ago - the titans.

Ofc I can be totally wrong. The future will tell. 😀

• Like 2

Hmm, interesting take. But I'm with @Nemo.3826 and think it will be a Titan. Especially since the Titans are now being introduced and an obvious part of the story will be about us realizing that not all Titans were driven out of Tyria after all.
As for Samarog though, we don't really know anything about him yet. Neither what he is, nor where he comes from, nor even why the Mursaat have imprisoned him in the Bastion of the Penitent. I'm hoping that we'll find out something now and what I could imagine in this context: Maybe he's some kind of Titan or somehow connected to them.

14 hours ago, Nemo.3862 said:

And at last, a charr said in the trailer "a false god". Guess who was worshipped by the charr ages ago - the titans.

If I heard correctly, it wasn't just some charr who said that about the “false god”, but in fact Malice Swordshadow, the Imperator of the Ash Legion herself. So someone in modern times in Tyria who is still very familiar with ancient history.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 5:00 PM, mandala.8507 said:

SotO gave us insight into one of the major mysteries from that period of the game, Deimos (who ended up being a Kryptis Lord).

How did Kryptis royalty ended as a prison guard sitting around for 250 years by the way... ?

28 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

How did Kryptis royalty ended as a prison guard sitting around for 250 years by the way... ?

He wasn't there to guard the prison. He got stuck in Tyria in the Bastion and decided to torment Saul. In a way, he was also a prisoner; feeding off Saul's anguish out of necessity (although it's clear he was enjoying himself to some extent).

There's a lore item from SotO that says he was using Saul as a host after he got trapped following a failed incursion.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I am 90% certain that it's meant to be the three-legged titan form.

News sites who released some elements early have already confirmed that Titans are involved in the second map, and given the art-text association, those rock creatures seen just before are lesser titans ala the Hands/Fists of the Titans from GW1, redesigned naturally.

While it wouldn't surprise me for a Samarog-like to show up in the expansion, I don't think the giant, lumbering shadow that rises up from the ground (aka the spawning animation of big titans in GW1) is such.

EDIT: The JW official site's screenshot of those rock creatures is titled titan so, confirmed, those are indeed lesser titans.

6 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Deimos_(plaque)

There's other SotO references to Deimos but the TL;DR seems to be that he got trapped in the Bastion of the Penitent while trying to break his way into Tyria, couldn't return, so he either agreed to work with the mursaat there, or he just saw a juicy meal and made himself at home after the mursaat were wiped out.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Since they're titans, which are controlled by the Scepter of Orr as we saw in Prophecies with Vizier Khilbron's army, I wonder if Livia will be able to control them to some extent.

Presumably controlled by the Scepter of Orr*

Nightfall called that into question because both Khilbron and the Titans were servants of Abaddon. Even if Khilbron didn't know the Titans were, the Titans might've just been given the order to follow Khilbron's commands.

Though we do see the Scepter of Orr controlling souls and the Titans are made of tormented souls, we cannot be 100% certain the Scepter controls Titans. And even if they did, Livia no longer has the Scepter of Orr - Isgarren does.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1