Build defining Elite grandmaster traits

Hey there,

This is a topic that I have been meaning to write for a while and spears gave me the impetus to finally do it; 

When looking at how 'generalized' the game has become - a lack of profession based mechanics have perhaps been reduced or standardized since release.

Now what does standardizing have to do with grandmaster traits?

GM traits should arguably be the choice that defines the crux of gameplay for your (e) spec. Thus, should be felt or seen in gameplay that shows that choice.

Within reason.

I play a fair bit of guardian so I will use the profession as my example:

Even core guardian shows this structure a tad - particularly with the virtues trait line.

Having justice occur every 3 strikes gives a noticeable impact on the amount of burning one applies to a target - this in my eyes should be a core structure to a GM; which is mostly achieved with ease across the board, though, there may be an exception here or there depending on the strength or weakness of the trait and associated synergies.

But we're not here for core trait lines!

Elite specs are supposed to change the way you play somewhat and should have some impact on the field of battle.

I've been playing GW2 back when guardian had a proper book floating in front of them as an Elite.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tome_of_Wrath

Before we became speedy librarians...

With the above in mind; let us apply this to a modern style of play with people and impactful choices.

Top:

Focused Archive: staying in one tome longer than 3-5 seconds shifts all pages from other tomes to the one you are in. This is intended as the book camping style of play. Auto no longer consumes pages generally and you no longer stow the book on running out of pages - gain and additional page on quickness per second in addition to those passively generated.

Middle:

Reference Array: swapping between books generates pages and reduces the cooldown of other virtues by a percent. This is intended to be the 'engineer' or 'elementalist' style of play in switching books as needed.

Bottom: 

Innate instruction: consume pages passively, creating effects from the tomes themselves without opening the book itself. Intended for low intensity play and those who struggle with the F keys. High general boon application sewn throughout - on heal, apply a tome of resolve skill.

Current GM traits would be restructured into the above if/as necessary.

A violent or comforting librarian with Focused Archive depending on the tome chosen to stay in.

A archivist using the necessary skills and knowledge with Reference Array to assist on the battlefield.

Innate Instruction for those who a more relaxed style of play knowing that they can assist in damage and healing as necessary.

Enough of guardian, lets apply this to necromancer.

Particularly for this; Scourge.

Scourge using life force to shape sand to aid allies and harm enemies in lieu of a full secondary health bar like other necromancer could be much more interesting.

Summoning the sand shroud to use on the field is one thing to occur; but having it encompass you and change your skills just a little.

Moving Herald of Sorrow up the trait tree- now acting as a toggle, similar to that of the revenant.

Passively consuming life force while gaining from skills as normal to gain it back as required. You play more of a spell caster on top of your style of play with HoS passively boosting your barrier, applying boons etc.

These skills gain associated buffs and boosts from the skills that would normally effect them.

F1: sand blast - cast sand at a foe damaging them. Low LF cost. 

F2: corrupt cascade - soak a foe in sand, periodically converting boons to conditions.

F3: desert moon - gain barrier surrounding yourself and nearby allies.

F4: desiccation storm - create a sandstorm that fears and slows enemies. High LF cost.

F5: revert shroud - toggle your shroud.

These are a couple of examples of what applying the daredevils style of choice in interactive grandmaster traits could have an impact on gameplay and bring more character to the choices you make in the elite spec.

Perhaps there might be a way to have these aspects apply to core somewhat.

Thank you for reading,

-Phyrak 

• Like 3

I like the idea of making GM traits from E-Specs build defining.

The recent balance updates had homogenize the professions and lost a lot of their uniqueness. Add to this the globalization of E-Spec specific weapons. 

I like E-Specs like Holosmith, Daredevil, Mechanist because of how impactful choosing specific traits to your build. 

Some of the Grandmaster traits from these e-specs don't even warrant their GM status anymore (I'm looking at you Mirage). 

• Like 2

A couple more ideas:

Dragon Hunter:

Vital engagement: soaring devastation moved to GM - grow your wings on movement skills; granting barrier and bonus damage.

Holosmith:

Inversion matrix: allows you to camp in holo mode, gaining additional soft cc conditions at the cost of damage 

10 hours ago, Bunny.9834 said:

The recent balance updates had homogenize the professions and lost a lot of their uniqueness. Add to this the globalization of E-Spec specific weapons. 

I like E-Specs like Holosmith, Daredevil, Mechanist because of how impactful choosing specific traits to your build. 

Some of the Grandmaster traits from these e-specs don't even warrant their GM status anymore (I'm looking at you Mirage). 

Meat to the bone!

Classes need character - otherwise it is a tint of colour over the skill and nothing but numbers to show for it.

Heck!

Piloting the Mech would be brilliant;

Imagine seeing a mech alone: no player - rather the player piloting from within.

Perhaps giving a reason to use turret and tool skills are add-ons to the machine.

- Throw mine become an extensive minefield

- Rifle turret unleashing a barrage of bullets

- flame thrower coating an area in fire like that of the berserkers bow.

So many ways to make GM traits have life to them

• Like 1

Herald:
Legendary lense: toggles now change legend skills somewhat.
Reducing cost/increased effect for simple skils like that of phase to condition application innately - both passive aura and boosting boon-condition rate alongside naturally adding torment to all weapon skills.
Glint becomes a dragon knight with the likes of elemental becoming naturally accessible and gaining a stretched area like berserkers bow.

On 6/7/2024 at 8:02 AM, Phyrak.7260 said:

Holosmith:

Inversion matrix: allows you to camp in holo mode, gaining additional soft cc conditions at the cost of damage 

Holosmith GM traits are already pretty build defining if you ask me, maybe TRV doesn't meet your criteria, but ECSU and PBM are what holds their respective builds together.

10 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Holosmith GM traits are already pretty build defining if you ask me, maybe TRV doesn't meet your criteria, but ECSU and PBM are what holds their respective builds together.

That's fair,

In my eyes, the likes of heat therapy, light density amp and prismatic conversion could be shifted into other traits in the same way that chemical rounds has two effects.

Perhaps TRV could have its effect applied to another trait to keep the blast on dodge?

Fire blast with heat base, cold blast with inversion?

Admittedly, this concept of holo camping had the least time spent on it compared to the others.

Its one of the trait trees that feels lacking synergistically compared to other classes; soulbeast feels like you can build traits on traits on skills for a desired outcome - HS has one trait for explosives and it itself limits your time in the forge meaning less time to actually use the skills to their fullest extent (in my probably rough opinion). 

Giving depth to trait lines allows for effects between core trait lines to grow and synergies to occur. I needn't mention guardian.

Bladesworn could be another one with the structural changes to make the aesthetic and gameplay become more interesting depending on GM traits chosen.

Assimilate each of the 'dragons' into depending styles or base the 1-5 of the different 'blades'.

Canthan style - as is. Unyielding dragon as the archetypal samurai.

Hammer and anvil - fist and foot; using the animations from the trainer. Focusing on cc/evasion. Integrated into immortal dragon.

Spear or dual sword - the condition bladesworn with a touch of Myomoto Musashi. Increased bursting: perhaps more blocks, teleports and flip skills to lean into this aggressive play style. Making daring dragon something fearful when the BS waits to strike.

7 hours ago, Phyrak.7260 said:

Bladesworn could be another one with the structural changes to make the aesthetic and gameplay become more interesting depending on GM traits chosen.

Assimilate each of the 'dragons' into depending styles or base the 1-5 of the different 'blades'.

Canthan style - as is. Unyielding dragon as the archetypal samurai.

Hammer and anvil - fist and foot; using the animations from the trainer. Focusing on cc/evasion. Integrated into immortal dragon.

Spear or dual sword - the condition bladesworn with a touch of Myomoto Musashi. Increased bursting: perhaps more blocks, teleports and flip skills to lean into this aggressive play style. Making daring dragon something fearful when the BS waits to strike.

By dodge/fist and foot trainer - I mean this guy:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trainer_Stone_Fist

• 2 weeks later...

This would be a brilliant addition!

Perhaps a 'kit' version GM trait too?

Using the elemental bands that show what element you are in as a way to cast new skills.

Passively pulsing might/might on skill use while  applying vulnerability would give a way to move into water or earth as offensive options with their primary focus as a background benefit - applying 'on attunement' traits on crit, heal, dodge etc.

Call it 'ascendants focus' or 'elemental scion'. 

Something with some pizaz that shows the want and wanton terror that unbound fire, earth, water or air can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 7:03 AM, Bunny.9834 said:

>mirrage

>traits warranting their trait status

Lol, lmao even.

• Confused 1