The start of SOTO instantly reminded me of one thing I really enjoy in GW2 - our character's personalty, status and development

Ellye.9123

Posted (edited)

Thankfully nowadays we have a decent of selection of MMORPGs where our characters play an active part in the story, and they vary from mostly-silent protagonists like in FF14 and TESO to quite talkative ones that like in SWTOR and GW2. One thing I really enjoy in GW2 is that our character talks even unprompted by the player, which I feel was quite a bit of a risk by the devs since a lot of RPG players really dislike that, but for me it paid off really well with how the personalty of the Commander developed over the years.

On topic, the start of SOTO quickly shows a mix of how big of a deal the status of our character is, the fact that our character is fully aware of it and has embraced it (like mentioning that she could bring an armada of airplanes to the fractal islands with a couple phonecalls), while also putting our character in a few humbling situations (getting tossed in a situation that was completely unknown to hear, nearly dying to a foe because she was absolutely not prepared for that fight, finding out that there was a lot of stuff going on she had no idea about, people that don't really trust her, etc) to remind us (and her) that despite it all she's still just one person.

Really enjoyed it and did a fine job grabbing me back into GW2 after being away for a while again.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 4

I'm completely in the opposite camp on this.

I miss being an adventurer exploring exciting new lands and getting immersed in distant cultures. 

In GW2 it's the opposite, we are the center of the world, we boss everyone around, and everyone is kissing our boots. On top of that I can't relate to the player character at all, it's like I'm an observer in someone else's power fantasy I don't want to be a part of.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5