How to diagnose what's wrong with a rotation

Hi everyone

I could use a bit of advice on how to diagnose what is causing my DPS to be below-par.  I am trying to improve as a power berserker, have the correct build, gear and food from the videos that do 40K and more, and I'm trying my best to follow the suggested rotation to the letter.  The golem has the recommended debuffs and I have the recommended boons and buffs, but no matter what I do, I can't get beyond 27K DPS.  This obviously means that I regularly get kicked from CM content for poor DPS.

My question is:  what can I do to figure out what I'm doing wrong?  I live in a country where I don't get ping below around 120, so I don't know whether that makes a difference, and I'm also not sure whether I may be cancelling attacks too early in trying to speed up my rotation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Let me preface that 27k DPS ain't "low" and would be sufficient even for most CMs. However, golem numbers are one thing, real encounters are another. Also ping can be an issue, though 120ms ain't that bad, especially when you're used to it. Usually the three main reasons for low DPS are:

1. Executing the rotation too slow
  2. Aborting skills
  3. Unability to shift over to real combat

Best would be to monitor your performance via ArcDPS (obligatory "use at your own risk" hint). You can upload logs to see if skill abortion is an issue. If not, it's most certainly 1 and/or 3. You can then also ask for an expert for your spec and show him/her your logs to see if they can point out any major flaws.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t play berserker, though I will say a lot of my trouble early on with condi Soulbeast was doing the rotation too slowly. A lot of skills on cslb can be precast too, which once I learned that helped a ton. 

but basically everything Nash said. And if arc doesn’t work well on your setup or if you’re not comfy using it, you could always ask a guild mate with arc to party up, chill while you hit the golem, and then share logs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TaurusZA.5493 said:

I'm also not sure whether I may be cancelling attacks

If you come to find out you are canceling attacks I recommend you just keep tapping that button while it casts until it starts the cool down rather than wait idle during cast before proceeding with the rotation.

Think of it as a drums player, you have to keep up the tempo to get into a rhythm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

If you come to find out you are canceling attacks I recommend you just keep tapping that button while it casts until it starts the cool down rather than wait idle during cast before proceeding with the rotation.

Think of it as a drums player, you have to keep up the tempo to get into a rhythm.

I’m actually going to have to try that. It’s easy to cancel some attacks, and I want to see if that helps me with some other classes I’m practicing.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, everyone, for some really helpful tips.  I love the analogy of playing drums and having to keep up the tempo - it makes so much sense.  I get about 17-18K in a real fight (depending on how fast / far the boss moves) so there is room for improvement.

Nash, I also really appreciate the detailed advice as I'm pretty sure my issues are a combination of all three the points you raised.  I'm going to look into those logs!

I'll repost if and when I "git gud!"

Thanks again!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TaurusZA.5493 said:

Thank you so much, everyone, for some really helpful tips.  I love the analogy of playing drums and having to keep up the tempo - it makes so much sense.  I get about 17-18K in a real fight (depending on how fast / far the boss moves) so there is room for improvement.

Nash, I also really appreciate the detailed advice as I'm pretty sure my issues are a combination of all three the points you raised.  I'm going to look into those logs!

I'll repost if and when I "git gud!"

Thanks again!

Cheers, glad it was usefull to you. Also one thing to note- 17-18k on a real boss can be anything from really good to... quite some room for improvement. It totally depends on the boss.

• Like 2

Arcdps has a logging feature. You can log yourself and upload the log file to dps.reports and the online report will show you what your rotation was including if you canceled casts or interrupted an auto attack chain 

• Like 1