No dishonor for leaving the match?

The other day I had someone in my team abandon us at the tail end of the match (after obviously talking kitten in chat because they have unresolved issues I guess?). We got negative rank (weird but ok) and immediately went into queue for the next match.

The horror: The leaver was back in my team. Shouldn't they get dishonor and be unable to queue if they left mid-game?

It gets worse though. Apparently they are a streamer and I saw them in a VOD changing characters when their team was losing and queuing right back then. Is this the expected behavior of dishonor?

• Like 3

Yes you get dishonor for leaving and no it does not happen all the time. I can leave early if my connection is bad and get dishonored but leaving later has no guarantee of making you dishonored.

This is something I noticed exactly like you, because a streamer keeps doing that. He insults everyone and leaves games he “knows” are lost and still ends up my next games (if you are on EU we could be talking about the same guy).

I never talked about this because I did not want it to become common but this behavior is somewhat intended. It makes sense because you can get unlucky the last moment and get a dc while still participating 95% of the game. Like any system it will also gets abused by a small number of players (see Dishonorable - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)). The only thing I can see Anet doing is toying with the limit (which is wwaaaaayy too forgiving), keeping a longer history (to prevent cycles like 3 leave 3 min dishonor 3 leave again 3 min dishonor). It is not going to prevent this behaviour but it would make it harder for them.

The sad part is that the weak minded player I mentioned still ends up getting promoted on the forums and so does the behavior of afking / leaving when you “know” it is over.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Thanks 1

Yikes! I do believe we encountered the same individual, since I'm in EU too. Pretty sad indeed.

I think Anet should aim to implement something like what you proposed to keep this behavior in check. Fingers crossed with the introduction of the new mode they decide to overhaul how they manage abusers and afkers in pvp (yeah, at this point crossing my fingers is the only hope I have left xD)

6 hours ago, aymnad.9023 said:

afking / leaving when you “know” it is over.

We had a good thread discussion on this topic some time ago, "When is it ok to afk?"

As an older player who can generally predict the outcome of matches very early, I have two rules of thumb that I go by:

1. If my team after a wipe, can at least get back to 2 nodes and at least contest them in some way, "like get to the 2 nodes and stand on them, threaten a flip", I'll keep playing out of respect for the learning process of those players. Even if we are losing badly, the pace of the match is at least allowing them breathing room to learn during the loss, and this is important. It is important to keep playing during these losses so the newer players can have the experience to learn from.
  2. However, if my team wipes and starts getting spawn camped, literally cannot even get back to nodes to realistically threaten any flips, and they are dying in 2s of any engagement, I'll go AFK. This isn't because "I know we won't win" but rather because there isn't enough breathing room for those players to even learn anything during the blowout. In this event, the match just needs to end when it isn't worth the practice. I'll AFK so I can use the next 10+ minutes of my time to make a sandwich or take the dog out or do anything else, because 10 minutes spent putting laundry from washer to dryer is a better usage of my time than grinding my face into a spawn camp blowout to appease of bunch of new players who "don't want me to go AFK" because they are unable to see that the match is already over, there isn't anything they can do about it, and that being spawn camped isn't even worth the practice to play into. 

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

We had a good thread discussion on this topic some time ago, "When is it ok to afk?"

As an older player who can generally predict the outcome of matches very early, I have two rules of thumb that I go by:

1. If my team after a wipe, can at least get back to 2 nodes and at least contest them in some way, "like get to the 2 nodes and stand on them, threaten a flip", I'll keep playing out of respect for the learning process of those players. Even if we are losing badly, the pace of the match is at least allowing them breathing room to learn during the loss, and this is important. It is important to keep playing during these losses so the newer players can have the experience to learn from.
  2. However, if my team wipes and starts getting spawn camped, literally cannot even get back to nodes to realistically threaten any flips, and they are dying in 2s of any engagement, I'll go AFK. This isn't because "I know we won't win" but rather because there isn't enough breathing room for those players to even learn anything during the blowout. In this event, the match just needs to end when it isn't worth the practice. I'll AFK so I can use the next 10+ minutes of my time to make a sandwich or take the dog out or do anything else, because 10 minutes spent putting laundry from washer to dryer is a better usage of my time than grinding my face into a spawn camp blowout to appease of bunch of new players who "don't want me to go AFK" because they are unable to see that the match is already over, there isn't anything they can do about it, and that being spawn camped isn't even worth the practice to play into. 

It was not a good thread. It was a pathetic display of people congratulating each other for sabotaging their teammates, their own games under the rally of “it cannot be my fault” because their self esteem should not be hurt.

For example the streamer I mentioned left a game 380 - 450 and the enemy had 2 nodes. After he left we capped all 3 pts and lost 490-500. If he stayed and fought we would have won. Every season I see that you can win while being >150 points behind / lose while being 150 pts ahead (and it is not once in a while). I have won 4V5, lost 5V4. We even often see teams coming back during mat too (https://youtu.be/jTXZU5ywX9E?feature=shared&t=3471). Stop trying to justify being weak minded.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

The comeback is possible in any match, but don't compare a ranked match to a MAT. In ranked matches, it's just you with four other strangers, while in a MAT, it's five friends who know each other and also use a means to communicate and coordinate (probably with the program DISCORD)

1 hour ago, Crackz.5278 said:

The comeback is possible in any match, but don't compare a ranked match to a MAT. In ranked matches, it's just you with four other strangers, while in a MAT, it's five friends who know each other and also use a means to communicate and coordinate (probably with the program DISCORD)

Are you arguing that it should be easier to comeback in a mat?

Your team has discord? The opposing team has it too! So if a team manages to get ahead they should also coordinate to keep the lead. It should be harder to come back right? And if they managed to win once they can do it again since they have the same configuration too. And it still keeps happening, teams manage to turn games around.

If we talk about ranked the opposing team is also composed of strangers. Your team makes mistakes, starts feeding? So will the opposing team the moment a game turns around. They will start panicking, being angry and make even more mistakes while your team will gain speed.  It means you have way more room to make things happen.  Small things like not dying, forcing rotations or big ones like 1V2, winning matchup you “should not” ALL contribute to the victory. People should focus on their individual contribution. The moment they start flaming or going afk they are 100% the architect of their failure. 

People should try to "vote" for a teammate at the end of each game and they (at least some) will start to notice that they do contribute / carry. A lot.

Edited by aymnad.9023
edited to be less anrgry