NPC Word Vomit via communicator - This needs to stop

Word vomit. This is what we're dealing with right now. The opinions will be divided regarding the long dialogues in the story. My pet peeve however...

IS THE EFFIN COMMUNICATOR AND EVERY NPC TALKING IN MY EAR 24/7. We TOLD you about this in SotO, Anet. We told you how it's so effin obnoxious to get whispers and NPCs shouting in your ear with every event, every meta, every everything. 

Like HOLY kitten. I used my roller beetle and went through 3 different event areas and I got shouted at by 3 overlapping NPC dialogues that went on for a minute.

Let's say we mute dialogue. We hide NPC text in the chat. But the problem is WE CANNOT OPT OUT. You know why? Because the same dialogues also have OBNOXIOUS SPEECH BUBBLES that literally cluster our screen because BEARS HAVE COMMUNICATORS NOW. You know how kittening annoying it is?? 

Anet, this is NOT OK! We TOLD you we didn't like it. You said you learned.

The hell did you learn? 

Rant over. I'm tired. I'm tired of the dialogue visual clusterkitten.

And I'm tired of missing shots on my skyscale because the speech bubble covers the target.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

46 minutes ago, deedeechan.8103 said:

My pet peeve however...

IS THE EFFIN COMMUNICATOR AND EVERY NPC TALKING IN MY EAR 24/7

Would you rather the old system? Where the quest tracker tell you to read the mail to progress to the next step?

The communicator was introduced to expedite story telling, instead of reading a letter, you get to listen to dialog from a voice actor while you're free to move around, fight, organize your inventory or what ever it is you need doing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Would you rather the old system? Where the quest tracker tell you to read the mail to progress to the next step?

The communicator was introduced to expedite story telling, instead of reading a letter, you get to listen to dialog from a voice actor while you're free to move around, fight, organize your inventory or what ever it is you need doing.

yes I would.

I read fast. I typically comprehend text better than voice. Yea, there's text with the voice in the comms, but the presentation is just more sensory clutter in a sensorily cluttered world. 

Some days I don't comprehend language well at all and it would be nice to have a reference i can re-read *as needed* 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I'll take the communicator over whispers any day, nothing more annoying than hearing that ping and thinking someone actually whispered you (while also having fully voiced dialogue -- why?!), but agreed with getting rid of it entirely. I'm okay with it existing in the story but being regurgitated on maps becomes very tiresome, especially since so much of it is just fluff. Thanks NPC for yelling in my ear about the nearby champion while I'm squashing grubs, you really added nothing substantial to that event that I'll probably get to once I finish the Bog Queen. Sheesh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This was a real pain in Soto and the even whisper you. This was 100%  and why those NPCs not doing their things, and only I was forced 24/7. They told it stopped on Janthir Wilds, but they are still there. Returning dialogs every few seconds and this kind of whisper I don't want to hear. They killed my friends like Taimi, Kas or Margory not talking to my anymore and replaced in a those with silly way NPCs that should be able to manage their problems on their own as they also did even before we appear on JW.

JW should be a nice and stress-free part of GW with my home for the retirement of my commander, as I long enough save the world. But now I still got contacted in my Dream by NPCs I never met in game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

The real pain is that it isn't limited to story, you hear those dialogues everytime if you just pass an event area. THIS needs to stop.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

We're gonna need you to learn how to multitask and remain focus when more than one thing is going on. We believe in you.

Someone's being really condescending towards people that have different opinions. It's just annoying to get constant voice lines thrown at you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

We're gonna need you to learn how to multitask and remain focus when more than one thing is going on. We believe in you.

also multitask can be a privilege of healthy and neurotypical people, not necessarily something everyone can learn (or continue to engage in even if they were good at multitasking before becoming ill). 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Victor.2813 said:

wasn't it Taimi that came up with these communication devices (might be recalling it wrong)? another reason to despise that not-Zojja character.

Yes, she not only invented it, she upgraded it and then apparently sent our phone number to that Canthan reporter who published it for the whole world to see.

Since she calls us "boss," we should be able to order her to now invent the unlisted number, "decline call" and "send to voicemail" buttons.

• Haha 1