Removing Healing Spells

@Azoqu.8917 said:

@Vulf.3098 said:In order to completely replace a chrono in a sub group you need a firebrand
and
a renegade to work together to bring quickness and alacrity. As for druid you cant really replace if you want their utility without bringing a soulbeast. You can run other supports and tanks but it is not even close to being as efficient as druid/chrono which makes me think Anet knows this which is why Firebrand and Renegade got support buffs while Druid, Warrior, and Chrono got utility nerfs last major balance patch. You only need 1 Warrior per raid comp. It looks like they tried to do something similar to druid but didn't realize how strong CA and Spirits are to where people still stack two druids for the extra utility.I don't think completely replacing chrono and druid needs to be the aim, at least not in the short term. After LN's Sab 5-man, I'd expect FB+Renegade to be a very reasonable choice for the second subsquad, since a single druid covers all relevant support of the class. In the long run, of course I'd like to see every single class/spec being replaceable.

Quickfire should just give Alacrity. Then we could interchange Chronos and Firebrands how we please.

This would just end up in one of the two extremes. Either Chronos will get completely replaced by Firebrands or they won't ever be, depending on which spec is superior. Splitting the job of the chrono between two classes is a more versatile approach, if only because it is harder to tell which is better. Although honestly if you replace Chrono + Druid from one group for Firebrand + Ventari Rev, it's an easy call your group dps should go up because of the Firebrand. But then at least you managed to include two other viable support classes instead of replacing one with another. And of course you're free to choose your tank between the remaining chrono and the fb.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Wandering Mist.2973 said:What (in your opinion) are the downsides of removing healing from the game?

2 highly possible scenario if healing is removed :1) Taking any form of damage in combat will be unforgiving since it's hard to recover. No room for mistakes to happen. Can't expect everyone to be able to play at that level.(This will make players to stop doing some contents like raid, fractals etc and hampering/limiting some game mode WvW etc)2) Future combat encounters will be made simple and easy to suit the player base. Limited ways to create encounter mechanics. You can compare the content before healing is introduced by doing dungeons/original personal story.

And altho I'm not sure why the need to compare especially w Gw1 (which I felt it's a totally different type of game). Every game have their own combat system and changes made as it goes to suit the game. I prefer not to comment on other games but fair to say every game have their own flaws & system to be dealt with. As for Gw2, the original combat design ain't very impressive, but I can see changes are being made slowly....(so many things still not viable). Let's just say by introducing X function, will allow Y mechanics into the game-play.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@"Wandering Mist.2973" said:Hi all.

It's always confused me that a game that claims to not have a holy trinity combat system has effectively given us a dedicated tank (chrono) and a dedicated healer (druid) whether intentionally or not. To quote Jon Peters from Anet: “Our professions aren’t dedicated healers, DPS, or tanks because frankly, we built a combat system that just doesn’t allow it.”

Odd, because Druids in particular are effectively dedicated healers. Yes they do damage but the damage they do is so insignificant that it's not even worth mentioning. So now I think to myself, what would happen if you took out third party heals from the game completely. You would still have your personal healing skills, but you couldn't heal someone else in your party. Would anyone be in favour of this, and if so, what do you think we could give support specs instead of aoe healing spells?

Nah, it would eliminate part of the teamplay. The ability to specialize, to have different roles in combat, is part of what makes party play in PvE fun.

You hit the nail on the head here.

Without healer and tank roles, you have only one role left: "DPS who must take more time away from DPSing to better defend themselves" (I say more time because everyone still has to not fail mechanics already). You've reduced playstyle diversity. Not good.

The game was always designed to allow players to make dedicated healing/defensive characters if they wanted; just look at all the low damage/high healing stat combinations in the base game, guardian mace, the entire Water line for eles... The options just have some higher-caliber offerings now.

Archived