A Much Needed Change For the Trading Post

As I make most of my gold off the trading post, I spend a lot of time placing orders to resell them. Recently I went to place a bid, but I must have just missed the checkbox on the place bid side on the highest bid, then went to hit the place order button. Then I see an item instantly in my items to collect off the trading post. I then noticed I had instantly bought the item for 220 gold more than i wanted to. I then sent in a support ticket to Anet asking if they could refund me the gold I spent and just destroy the item in my inventpory which I haven't unlocked in wardrobe or used, but was denied.

So, my suggestion is, instead of starting the checkbox on the sell side when there is an item listed for sale, would it not make sense to start it on the side where you place a bid? I don't think it makes sense the way it is now. Or at least have it as an option in the settings to change it. As I have multiple items I have bids on that keep getting outbid, I quickly go through all my items and rebid on them, so it would be more reassuring that this doesn't happen again if this change was made or added as an option.

And option to change this would be great but if it was changed to highest bid by default, I reckon the mayority of players wouldnt like it.

They actually adjusted this on the sales side twice (not sure anymore, if it also affected buying items):

When the game launched and you wanted to sell something on the tp, the highest bid was automatically ticked, just like it is now.

But when they reworked the TP UI (in 2014, i think), they changed it, so you would list your items at the lowest listing value instead of selling directly to the highest bid. As a trader myself, who mostly undercuts the lowest listing, this was a great change but the most of the players seemed to prefer selling their loot directly and they changed it again after a huge community uproar.

@Wanze.8410 said:But when they reworked the TP UI (in 2014, i think), they changed it, so you would list your items at the lowest listing value instead of selling directly to the highest bid. As a trader myself, who mostly undercuts the lowest listing, this was a great change but the most of the players seemed to prefer selling their loot directly and they changed it again after a huge community uproar.

Sorry to say I'm one of the ones who complained about that change. I'm one of the people who do the opposite - most of the time I don't care about maximising profit, I just want my stuff sold as fast as possible and having to change it over to sell to the highest bidder every single time was a pain. (And when I do want to list it I have to think about the price I'm going to put in and take things slower anyway.)

But it seems like this would be a great candidate for having two different options. Like when there was that huge uproar because a lot of players desperately wanted the 'deposit materials' and 'compact' options in the inventory menu separated and others desperately wanted them to stay together for convenience, so someone at Anet added a check box to move the compact option if you wanted to. If they can add a similar option here I think it'd be a great fix.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Wanze.8410" said:But when they reworked the TP UI (in 2014, i think), they changed it, so you would list your items at the lowest listing value instead of selling directly to the highest bid. As a trader myself, who mostly undercuts the lowest listing, this was a great change but the most of the players seemed to prefer selling their loot directly and they changed it again after a huge community uproar.

Sorry to say I'm one of the ones who complained about that change. I'm one of the people who do the opposite - most of the time I don't care about maximising profit, I just want my stuff sold as fast as possible and having to change it over to sell to the highest bidder every single time was a pain. (And when I do want to list it I have to think about the price I'm going to put in and take things slower anyway.)

But it seems like this would be a great candidate for having two different options. Like when there was that huge uproar because a lot of players desperately wanted the 'deposit materials' and 'compact' options in the inventory menu separated and others desperately wanted them to stay together for convenience, so someone at Anet added a check box to move the compact option
if you wanted to
. If they can add a similar option here I think it'd be a great fix.

Nothing to be sorry for. As a trader, its only a minor inconvenience because once I list alot of different items/stacks, my bottleneck is usually the limited amount of listings I can place before I get an error message that tells me that I list stuff too fast and not the extra click I have to do to put the price on lowest listing value.

And the status quo is actually better for "business" since most players are lazy (or dont care) and just use the default option, which means there are more items being sold directly rather than listed.

Archived