Win/Lose streak cycle.

rwolf.9571

@Vicious.3042 said:I remember a few days back, I kept getting into teams with 3 players (the 5th player just won't load). I submitted screenshots one game after another to PVP support, calling it unfair, and after a while, magically, I won a 4v5.There were times, your connection's perfect, your team is winning, but suddenly you get disconnected from the game. You check your connection, it's fine, you log back to find your team struggle, you jump right back in, winning again, but a few minutes later your skill won't cast and...you dced again.

Yes, there's a part of matchmaking that DC's players because they're getting too much rating.

Of course, that is if you believe in magic, but there are a lot of things going on in the algorithm we don't know about.

Actually a pseudocode of the matchmaking algorithm is on the wiki... Posting it should resolve this issue if people grasped math and balance; but they don't.

@Etheri.5406 said:@Vornollo.5182 You seem to be mixing between 50% winrate and rating very heavily. Everyone's rating is expected to be roughly 50% as long as they aren't top end or bottom end players on the rating scale. 65%+ winrate is only sustainable (over the long time) for high rated players (plat+ I'd say).

And guess what..? I am at Platinum+ rating again. Took effort though.Quick edit: I've actually got a 74% win ratio going on over this Season so far.

@Vornollo.5182 said:

@Etheri.5406 said:@Vornollo.5182 You seem to be mixing between 50% winrate and rating very heavily. Everyone's rating is expected to be roughly 50% as long as they aren't top end or bottom end players on the rating scale. 65%+ winrate is only sustainable (over the long time) for high rated players (plat+ I'd say).

And guess what..? I am at Platinum+ rating again. Took effort though.Quick edit: I've actually got a 74% win ratio going on over this Season so far.

That's great! Not what I meant.

Matchmaking is GLICKO; and glicko has a natural tendency for players to go near 50% winrate if they are "middle of the pack". Only "high end" stays stable at higher than 50% winrate; and "low end" stays stable at sub 50% winrate. Also "improving players" get higher than 50% as their rating climbs.

So many of the things you stated aren't super relevant. You base yourself on winrates but these don't matter. A plat + player can have 55% winrate over huge amount of games without issues; but silver or gold players cannot without "getting better (slowly gaining rating)".

Overall, in glicko system "winrate" is irrelevant. What is relevant is rating; which you can gain and lose somewhat independent of winrate. The game tries to produce games which are fair for both sides - a 50% win chance for both teams. It does this because that's what we consider "fair" matches, which is fun! Most players end with around 50% winrate as a result of this - the game tries to make matches in which both teams have a 50% win chance. The game doesn't directly try to force a 50% winrate on anyone.

Your story of climbs and winrates would be much more accurate with RATING rather than WINRATE. I know players here are going on and off about losing and winning sprees and ratios but frankly they're the effect of underlying (rating based) effects.

@Etheri.5406 said:

And guess what..? I am at Platinum+ rating again. Took effort though.Quick edit: I've actually got a 74% win ratio going on over this Season so far.Matchmaking is GLICKO;

Matchmaking is not glicko. Glicko is purely a rating system, and functions completely independent of the matchmaker. The matchmaker uses a player's glicko rating when it does it's matchmaking, but the matchmaker itself is not glicko.

Archived