Auto-targeting not working

I can't say whether it's just anecdotal or if they really did change the range, as it works mostly the way it has been for a long time. You need line of sight from your character, but it does not need to be in your camera view range... However, I've had it, especially recently, select the doe behind me instead of the enemy I want to restore target on, like after stealth or detarget to use a movement skill... -_-

Tab targeting is not autotargeting so your title is wrong.

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:I can't say whether it's just anecdotal or if they really did change the range, as it works mostly the way it has been for a long time. You need line of sight from your character, but it does not need to be in your camera view range... However, I've had it, especially recently, select the doe behind me instead of the enemy I want to restore target on, like after stealth or detarget to use a movement skill... -_-

Depending on the exact scenario that doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Tab targeting is not autotargeting so your title is wrong.

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:I can't say whether it's just anecdotal or if they really did change the range, as it works mostly the way it has been for a long time. You need line of sight from your character, but it does not need to be in your camera view range... However, I've had it, especially recently, select the doe behind me instead of the enemy I want to restore target on, like after stealth or detarget to use a movement skill... -_-

Depending on the exact scenario that doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

It seems worse than it was, and hadn't behaved in those particular ways that I had noticed in a long time. It's precisely why I have never used auto-target either. My fault for assuming the game would select the target right in front of me, though. But last night, for instance, tab was choosing targets I didn't have LoS to, instead of the ones I did. It's why I generally do rely on clicking, but wish the Tab behavior would quick changing.

Lately, even the closest enemy keybind is also behaving strangely, ugh.

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Tab targeting is not autotargeting so your title is wrong.

It seems worse than it was, and hadn't behaved in those particular ways that I had noticed in a long time. It's precisely why I have never used auto-target either. My fault for assuming the game would select the target right in front of me, though. But last night, for instance, tab was choosing targets I didn't have LoS to, instead of the ones I did. It's why I generally do rely on clicking, but wish the Tab behavior would quick changing.

Lately, even the closest enemy keybind is also behaving strangely, ugh.

I think this is one of those things that will seem weird until you consider the implementation details.

I strongly suspect that tab target is implemented by doing something this:1) if you don't have any target selected generate a list of possible targets then select the first target on that list2) if you have a target selected move to the next target on the previously generated list

One of the consequence of that is you will not go back to a previously selected target until you go through the whole list and some of the targets might not longer in relevant position.

The list generated from step 1 is sorted by we don't know anything beyond the fact that legendary creatures are in front followed by champions followed by everything else. In theory there are a few other things that should be prioritized as well but I've never seen any mentions of it.

Archived