Did they ever change character naming to be more open?

micro.9514

Due to the nature of the buy to play game, ANet does not want to alienate people who reserved the names then took a break as some of those people might come back and complain about losing their names. Thus it is highly unlikely that the name situation will ever change. Best you can hope is to create decently sounding first/last name or title/name combination.

Even as of the recent betas I was able to name alts normal sounding things. My key runners when I make those get ordinary human names with "Key" embedded somewhere in them and the only one of those that was taken was Keyroy Jenkins (and that was the only one I tried to make a popular reference with). I even made up an Elonian one-word name for my new Deadeye, Taheefa, and that wasn't taken.

It's entirely possible to find names that fit the lore. You can toss in spaces, have a three word name (so long as you keep to 19 characters total including spaces), use an honorific or a nickname or a title. Please don't let naming be the thing that keeps you from this game.

Archived