@Anet - How does reporting a "bad" non-English character name work?

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:It is not a "belief" when it is based on facts.

Maybe you should, y'know, just trust the native Swedish speaker on this?

I've already said that I'm not distrusting you regarding your interpretation of the name you saw.

But let's take Ö for an example. A fact (taken from wikipedia, apologies) is that it's also used in the alphabets of German, Icelandic, Finnish, Karelian, Veps, Estonian, Southern Sami, Hungarian, Azeri, Turkish, Turkmen, Uyghur (Latin script), Crimean Tatar, Kazakh (Latin script), and in the Uto-Aztecan language Hopi. So if you were a native Swedish speaker as well as being a native speaker of all those above languages, and fluent in the nuances of slang from all the regions that those languages encompass, then I could begin to believe your "fact" that it is literally impossible for a Swedish curse word to also be something cool in a different language.But my suspension of disbelief can't stretch that far.

Yes but how many languages do you think have that same letter, in the same word, as a Swedish curse word/derogatory term?

There's just no chance of that happening, ever. The very notion is laughable.

Well for one the probability of it happening would probably be proportional to the length of the word in question. There are only so many combinations of vowels and consonants available (less when you take ease of pronunciation into account), so the likelihood of overlap between languages when using a common alphabet is fairly decent at smaller word sizes.

@Tycko Larsson.7829 said:Well the Spanish word fore time (hora) is a realy bad word in Swedish. So thats is one example.

That's a perfect example, thank you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Rashagar.8349 said:Well for one the probability of it happening would probably be proportional to the length of the word in question. There are only so many combinations of vowels and consonants available (less when you take ease of pronunciation into account), so the likelihood of overlap between languages when using a common alphabet is fairly decent at smaller word sizes.

Except that isn't true at all since it assumes all languages use the letters the same way. Ö is entirely different in most other languages; only those closely related to Swedish would share a common usage (and as such, also share "naughty words"). A Turkish word is never ever going to use it like a Swedish word, thus there is literally zero overlap. Just give it a rest already - languages don't work like you think they do.

@Rashagar.8349 said:That's a perfect example, thank you.

Sure, if we move the goalpost it is.

The goal post you're suddenly interested in is

@Umut.5471 said:What if it's a cool word in another language but a bad word in Swedish?

So how is it not a perfect example?

@Oglaf.1074 said:Just give it a rest already - languages don't work like you think they do.

And I'm happy to give it a rest if you are, but statistics don't work like you think they do.

@Rashagar.8349 said:

Uhm. Yes? I'm the one who made this thread in the first place. So. Yeah.

@Rashagar.8349 said:And I'm happy to give it a rest if you are, but statistics don't work like you think they do.

Nor the way you seeem to think they do. Or do you believe in the whole "Hundreds monkeys and a hundred type writers"-trope, too?

But yes, I am more than happy to let this idiotic derailment end.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Uhm. Yes? I'm the one who made this thread in the first place. So. Yeah.

@Rashagar.8349 said:And I'm happy to give it a rest if you are, but statistics don't work like you think they do.

Nor the way you seeem to think they do. Or do you believe in the whole "Hundreds monkeys and a hundred type writers"-trope, too?

But yes, I am more than happy to let this idiotic derailment end.

I'm just going to tell myself that this whole thing is down to a miscommunication caused by a language barrier haha! =D

Though I really can't see how I could have been more clear.

Regardless, this whole baffling "argument" from you doesn't change the fact that I wish you luck in your support ticket and future endeavours.

@Plautze.6290 said:Ä and Ö being Swedish letters? Good luck with that claim :#

Yes, they're letters of the Swedish alphabet which, per definition, makes 'em Swedish letters/characters.

I don't see how you're having an issue with that claim unless you somehow interpet it to mean that they are exclusively Swedish letters - which is doesn't.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Plautze.6290 said:Ä and Ö being Swedish letters? Good luck with that claim :#

Yes, they're letters of the Swedish alphabet which, per definition, makes 'em Swedish letters/characters.

I don't see how you're having an issue with that claim unless you somehow interpet it to mean that they are
exclusively
Swedish letters - which is doesn't.

Uuuuhm, no. Those are Latin letters, which happen to be used in the Swedish alphabet. Which happen to be used in quite a few European Languages.Just because I use a car, it's not a Plautzian car, but still a American/German/French/whatever car.

Archived