@Anet - How does reporting a "bad" non-English character name work?

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

@Kalli.4506 said:I also wanna know what the word is! Really curious! Im swedish myself.

And i think you can report it, gw2 has alot of swedish players that can find it offensive.

I find your name offensive. You OK with being banned for that?

Lol, that's not how it works and that's not how i meant. If someone have named their character something really offensive and against the rules, of course it would be reportable and changed even if it wasn't written in english. How many countries/players from EU have english as their native laguage? Just because it's in another language is it okey to break the rules? Theres still alot of people that will understand and could take offense.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Noa.7490 said:

@Noa.7490 said:I do remember in the early days of Guild Wars when I encountered a monk simply called "Lemoine Allaire". Type that in Google Translate and it might give you that "Lemoine" (which in reality should be in two words: Le moine") means a monk. Hey, no biggie, right? Except that apart from its true meaning, the word "moine" is also a French Canadian slang for the male appendage. Ooops! And Allaire, in Quebec, is a common family name. Again, no biggie, right? Well, it does so happen that "Allaire" is pronounced exactly like "à l'air" (still in French), which means "out in the open". So this guy was pretty clever by using a seemingly inoffensive name which, in reality, meant that he was going with his fly down and his trouser snake flopping around for all to see. So you see, here Google Translate would be zero help and the true meaning of the name would appear so to people familiar with French Canadian culture and slang. So it's a good example why, if you see an offending name, to write a ticket an explain precisely the nature of it so appropriate actions can be taken.

It's just one way to interpret that name (and not a glaring one), to me it looks unintentional and not offensive at all!

Sorry to differ, but in Quebec, if you say you went somewhere with "le moine à l'air", everyone will understand that you went around with your appendage out in the open as an exhibitionist. Go to a park during summer and tell the moms watching their kids that there's a guy walking around with his "moine à l'air" and watch them all call 911 in a hurry.

I can imagine how this sounds like to someone who's not familiar with the language, and I agree that only native speakers would be able detect the word play in many cases. I could make up German names that are offensive and only half of German native speakers would even detect it. It really is a matter of how subtle you are.

Then, my thinking is, who cares if it's not aimed at anyone specific and only a handful of players would even recognize it and it's unlikely that you ever meet those players ingame. I bet that besides you, nobody would feel offended by "Lemoine Allaire".

The joke might just be for the player who created the name. I have a character named "Melissa Aydiu" and I'm pretty sure not everyone gets it.

"May Lyssa aid you" is not offensive though :)

Btw. there was a german guy who thought it would be so funny to actually name his character in the german equivalent of " her hard, man" (just think of something sexually offensive to know what the are about...) by putting it into two words and a tiny change in spelling to disguise it, while still sounding exactly the same as if he hadn't changed the spelling. Of course I reported that name, with a ticket explaining it in detail. Somehow I hope it wasn't his first time and he got a nice penalty, because I think those people tend to not just leave it at one char being named against the rules.

@Kalli.4506 said:

@Kalli.4506 said:I also wanna know what the word is! Really curious! Im swedish myself.

And i think you can report it, gw2 has alot of swedish players that can find it offensive.

Lol, that's not how it works and that's not how i meant. If someone have named their character something really offensive and against the rules, of course it would be reportable and changed even if it wasn't written in english. How many countries/players from EU have english as their native laguage? Just because it's in another language is it okey to break the rules? Theres still alot of people that will understand and could take offense.

This game should only allow the name too be from the 4 supported laguage

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:This game should only allow the name too be from the 4 supported laguage

Then my Norn characters can't have Norse names?

I am swedish but since its not supported and so should really people stick too laguages supported by anet so nothing bad happends

Like, uh, 95% of the NPC names. This is a fantasy game...

But well, we all look similar, there is a limited amount of avatars for this forum. Anet should create a list of 1000 allowed names for your character. If you choose one that is already take, just get a random number behind it.

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

Nah, that's a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

@Kalli.4506 said:

Nah, that's a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. That is a bit draconian.

What if it's a cool word in another language but a bad word in Swedish?How can we know he meant the Swedish word? By just looking at account ip?What if he claims he meant the word in another language? It's pure chaos if they takeother languages into consideration.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:What if it's a cool word in another language but a bad word in Swedish?

That’s literally not a possibility.

... because Swedish can't be cool?...

=P

*EditI realise now that you probably meant "it's not a possibility in this particular instance" rather than "ever" but you got me really curious trying to figure out what possible spelling quirk all Swedish curse words could have in common with each other that they would definitely never share with any other language's words haha!

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@"Umut.5471" said:What if it's a cool word in another language but a bad word in Swedish?

=P

*EditI realise now that you probably meant "it's not a possibility in this particular instance" rather than "ever" but you got me really curious trying to figure out what possible spelling quirk all Swedish curse words could have in common with each other that they would definitely never share with any other language's words haha!

The “quirk” are the Swedish letters Å, Ä and Ö. They’re very hard, gutteral-sounding letters and as such many “naughty” words end up with them.

The odds of another language using a Swedish curse word or derogatory term for something “cool” are slim to null as a result. It ain’t happening

@Oglaf.1074 said:

=P

The “quirk” are the Swedish letters Å, Ä and Ö. They’re very hard, gutteral-sounding letters and as such many “naughty” words end up with them.

The odds of another language using a Swedish curse word or derogatory term for something “cool” are slim to null as a result. It ain’t happening

Hmm, I mean I wouldn't be so sure. Especially when you take slang into account, and spelling/pronunciation variations across regions, (and as a more tongue-in-cheek example, non-Swedish speakers using an Å instead of an A because they really want the name Aragorn but it was already taken or something). You might be surprised at how innocent some examples could be like.

Either way, I hope you understand that I'm not saying you were wrong to make a report/support ticket about it, and I'm not doubting your assessment of the original name that began this discussion. Just saying languages can be funny things.

And thanks for letting me know the "quirk" that led you to your belief =)

@"Oglaf.1074" said:It is not a "belief" when it is based on facts.

Maybe you should, y'know, just trust the native Swedish speaker on this?

I've already said that I'm not distrusting you regarding your interpretation of the name you saw.

But let's take Ö for an example. A fact (taken from wikipedia, apologies) is that it's also used in the alphabets of German, Icelandic, Finnish, Karelian, Veps, Estonian, Southern Sami, Hungarian, Azeri, Turkish, Turkmen, Uyghur (Latin script), Crimean Tatar, Kazakh (Latin script), and in the Uto-Aztecan language Hopi. So if you were a native Swedish speaker as well as being a native speaker of all those above languages, and fluent in the nuances of slang from all the regions that those languages encompass, then I could begin to believe your "fact" that it is literally impossible for a Swedish curse word to also be something cool in a different language.But my suspension of disbelief can't stretch that far.

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:It is not a "belief" when it is based on facts.

Maybe you should, y'know, just trust the native Swedish speaker on this?

I've already said that I'm not distrusting you regarding your interpretation of the name you saw.

But let's take Ö for an example. A fact (taken from wikipedia, apologies) is that it's also used in the alphabets of German, Icelandic, Finnish, Karelian, Veps, Estonian, Southern Sami, Hungarian, Azeri, Turkish, Turkmen, Uyghur (Latin script), Crimean Tatar, Kazakh (Latin script), and in the Uto-Aztecan language Hopi. So if you were a native Swedish speaker as well as being a native speaker of all those above languages, and fluent in the nuances of slang from all the regions that those languages encompass, then I could begin to believe your "fact" that it is literally impossible for a Swedish curse word to also be something cool in a different language.But my suspension of disbelief can't stretch that far.

Yes but how many languages do you think have that same letter, in the same word, as a Swedish curse word/derogatory term?

There's just no chance of that happening, ever. The very notion is laughable.

@Tycko Larsson.7829 said:Well the Spanish word fore time (hora) is a realy bad word in Swedish. So thats is one example.

But that's different from what we're discussing. Lets say you have a latin-sounding name for a Chronomancer with Hora in it - context matters.

What we're talking about is Swedish words using special Swedish letters (thus there is no question as to what is intended) somehow being spelled exactly the same in another language - which, again, is laughable. It just doesn't happen and is a non-issue.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Tycko Larsson.7829 said:Well the Spanish word fore time (hora) is a realy bad word in Swedish. So thats is one example.

But that's different from what we're discussing. Lets say you have a latin-sounding name for a Chronomancer with Hora in it - context matters.

What we're talking about is Swedish words using special Swedish letters (thus there is no question as to what is intended) somehow being spelled exactly the same in another language - which, again, is laughable. It just doesn't happen and is a non-issue.

It was you who added the only special letters part tho, the original question was that no bad word in swedish could be miss interpited on another language.If I saw a mesmer called Hora maestro.I might reported it thinking its a hooker master, when in fact its time master in spanish.

@Linken.6345 said:

It was you who added the only special letters part tho, the original question was that no bad word in swedish could be miss interpited on another language.If I saw a mesmer called Hora maestro.I might reported it thinking its a hooker master, when in fact its time master in spanish.

Well I wouldn't have reported it. So. Yeah. Now what?

Archived