Nothing feels meaningful

@"Murdock.6547" said:In gw2 you clear the same content for literally years with no incentives to do anything. You don't even get prestige of clearing because after a few weeks its on farm for even pugs.Have you considered that the content in GW2 might not be "designed to be cleared" but "designed to be played" instead? I love this game because contrary to pretty much any other MMO I have played so far, I can always find something to play that entertains me and rarely feel the need to "clear" specific content .

Pretty much all of the content, including fractals and raids, is there for me to play at my leisure, and each time I log in (mostly after a long day at work or family stuff) I can just look around and jump into the content I feel like playing at that time. I don't need to go finish quest chain A do open access to dungeon B to get the equip to do raid C. I can choose whether to play A, B or C today regardless of what I've played before.

What to you seems to be the weak part of this game is its biggest strenght to me: the ability to choose to play whatever content is entertaining me at that moment without having to go through a narrow string of other content first (and probably be "done" with that content I was so long preparing to play in no time). Sure, not everything is perfect, there are (low) hurdles you have to jump over to access some content, but nothing that really feels restraining to me.

I hate to say so, but if your goal in playing an MMO is to "clear" content and get "meaningful" rewards from them, then maybe this really isn't the game for you. Or you could try to take it for what it is, a game where you have to do your own part in choosing your reward. And I don't necessarily mean pixel rewards. To me, just walking around a map I haven't been to for a while, visiting the sights, picking up this or that along the way, often is the best reward I could wish for for a night of play.

No need to do dailies, no need to grab specific resources each day, just play what I feel like. This is what I love about this game, and why I think if the game goes on like this, it'll keep alive and well as a game for a core playerbase that likes a game that lets them play what they feel like rather than leading them around with a string of carrots on sticks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived