Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"Scande.5908" said:Max and medium shaders settings are a bit wonky in that it causes the grass sprites to move as if there was a constant wind storm.

That is a small side effect of disabling the GLSL shader in registry, in general it may help reduce some stuttering. If you wish to re-enable the feature and stop the wind storm, run 'wine_regedit.sh' and go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine > Direct3D > modify "UseGLSL" from 'disabled' to 'enabled'.

This is done only on the Nvidia side, with AMD/Intel it has to be enabled otherwise the game refuses to run. :)

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:btw, I have filled the shader cache the last couple of hours and it runs quite nicely, I have to say.

The trees either being mighty fine or mighty lovecraftian is a minor detail.

Good work, Armored!

Thanks, I'm glad it's working good on AMD as well, also I have good news for the trees ;)

Package Update:

I have updated the package again with the latest build of D9VK. The Window/Full-Screen issues seem to have been solved (in my case at least). Also there were some trees which were not being rendered correctly and these have also been fixed.

The only 2 issues I can see that are still pending with the game are the character portraits in party list going blank (has no effect in raids or squads) and the second one is the mouse cursor still visible when rotating the camera.

Note: You can follow the D9VK development progress @ https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:fullscreen alt-tab still does not work.

stuttering is also back - seems it discarded at least some of the cache?

Can you describe the alt tab issue a bit more precisely? For me alt tabbing in Full Screen works for switching to other windows on the same screen, however it doesn't let me move the cursor to the secondary screen, running the game in Windowed-Fullscreen fixes that.

As for the cache, it's probably rebuilding some of it. Technically what I do with every package re-upload is overwrite the D9VK dlls from here: https://git.froggi.es/joshua/d9vk/-/jobs They can be updated manually by placing the files in "data\drive_c\windows\system32" for the 64bit dlls and "data\drive_c\windows\syswow64" for the 32bit ones. For some reason Microsoft loves to confuse its' users.

ok the three cases, working, not working, working well enough:

working: with gallium fullscreen, alt-tab lets me switch to any other window. Gw2 minimizes, mutes and doesn't bother me.

not working: with d9vk fullscreen, alt-tab mutes the game, but nothing else happens. Gw2 stays open and on top. I can select other windows from the alt-tab selector, but it doesn't do anything, but changing the order, as if the game was indeed cycled out. alt-tabbing to Gw2 again, unmutes it.

well enough: with d9vk windowd-fullscreen, I can alt-tab to other windows, Gw2 then stays in the background until I manually minimize it.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618"

I tried the alt-tab methods you described and got the same exact results, this means it's not a desktop issue but rather the way D9VK handles the window. For me I prefer the d9vk Windows-Borderless best. Then again, D9VK is still in early development, so things might change.

Interesting find about WvW blobs, I'm thinking maybe this is a benefit due to Vulkan taking some of the load on the GPU and frees up some space for CPU tasks.

Thanks for sharing :)

@"Easy Tiger.7038" said:Hi, I think I have found a solution for the cursor issue. In Linux mouse option you can change to "flat" acceleration profile witch solved the problem for me. Hope it is help somebody out there. (d9vk version)

Hey, thanks for pointing that out, took me a while to understand what you meant by a "flat acceleration profile", then I found out you're referring to mouse acceleration in Gnome desktop.

I tried to disable the acceleration on my system however no luck, the mouse did slow down so the change did make effect but the issue with GW2 remains. Could you please share some more info about your system such as distro name (and version) and which GPU you're running? I can try to replicate it on my systems. :)

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@"Easy Tiger.7038" said:Hi, I think I have found a solution for the cursor issue. In Linux mouse option you can change to "flat" acceleration profile witch solved the problem for me. Hope it is help somebody out there. (d9vk version)

Hey, thanks for pointing that out, took me a while to understand what you meant by a "flat acceleration profile", then I found out you're referring to mouse acceleration in Gnome desktop.

I tried to disable the acceleration on my system however no luck, the mouse did slow down so the change did make effect but the issue with GW2 remains. Could you please share some more info about your system such as distro name (and version) and which GPU you're running? I can try to replicate it on my systems. :)

Hi, I am running Ubuntu 19.04, nvidia Gtx1070 with 430.xx driver, however I was wrong about fixing this issue. I have been so happy to actually find some solution as a novice Linux user and did not tested the thing properly. I have alt+tab out to write this post and the issue is come back. If you can just delete my post is could be good I don`t wanna misleading anyone. I am sorry about that.

@cyanidecapsule.3926 said:@"ArmoredVehicle.2849" I assume you've already seen this, but D9VK has its first tagged release: Release Version 0.10

Regarding mouse acceleration issues - I've not encountered any GW2-specific issues on GNOME or i3. The ArchWiki has a DE-agnostic solution to disabling mouse acceleration which you can try.

I've used that Arch wiki page to disable it on my system, but as @Easy Tiger.7038 mentioned above, the non-disappearing D9VK cursor issue isn't related to this as he initially thought.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:I've re-uploaded the Vulkan beta package with an updated version of D9VK, this brings with it a fix for the disappearing portraits in party list.

thanks, trying it out now.

btw, for those interested, some of the shaders need to be compiled again. So for a while fps will suffer and game stutter. For lots of recompiles, I try LA at any time, The Grove during the night, VB, TD, Amnoon.

Lots of effects, lots of flashy people.

After that, most is covered in my experience.

@Herochao.7219 I don't use arcdps, so it can't be that. My shader cache has built and compiled (no stuttering), but this has given way to even more crashing that when it was building the cache. All told, D9VK crashes for me -- frequently or infrequently.

As for the Living Story, I ran it all the way through (including some crashes) with D9VK. I'm going back to the WINED3D (OpenGL) build now, though. I finished the story yesterday, so if you played before then perhaps a subsequent patch has fixed the problem?

OH wow ok, perhaps you have some winetricks packages installed? Concerning d9vk I can play for hours without crashing on 2 different machines (intel and nvidia on lutris with manually installed d9vk), I could share a detailed writeup of my setup when I get home.

wine_gw2_1.7_intel_amd_beta3.tar.xz unpacked, gw2 installed. That's it.

• media-libs/mesaLatest version available: 19.0.3Latest version installed: 19.0.3

• media-libs/vulkan-loaderLatest version available: 1.1.106Latest version installed: 1.1.82.0

• x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpuLatest version available: 19.0.1Latest version installed: 19.0.1

llvm-7.0.0

ryzen 2XXX cpu, rx580, lots of ram.