Level 80 Weaver: DPS Advice

Eneldiar.9670

Good Morning All,

I've been playing gw2 since it's release and recently, my fiance got into it and has been really interested in the Weaver. She got to 80 and got the elite spec unlocked, but she currently is not putting out the damage she wants to. She sees these benchmarks for 30k+ DPS but when she goes to the training area to attempt, she only manages to pull 6-7k with the buffs added. I've explained that it takes time to get good with the profession, but she feels that she must be doing something wrong. Since I main Necromancer and don't know a ton about Ele, I figured I'd posed the question to those who live it.

Some info: She runs a standard Staff Build with fire/air/weaver with ascended zerker gear (believe she got the build off of metabattle). The only notable difference is that she uses the "unravel" skill so that she can fully attune to water to heal herself if she needs to. I don't believe she uses any sort of food/sharpening stones which may be where a large chunk of her DPS is falling off. Other than that, I wanted to see what advice was available.

Another note, I believe she follows the rotation laid out on metabattle as well. The link to the metabattle build is: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Staff_DPS_Fractal

The right food/etc "can" give her another 250 power... also, the dummies don't give an accurate number compared to dps in a raid because in a raid (where the #'s you hear about might be coming from) she'd be getting boons and buffs from other people that would increase her DPS.

She should probably look at learning combos too.

Z

@"Eneldiar.9670" said:Good Morning All,

I've been playing gw2 since it's release and recently, my fiance got into it and has been really interested in the Weaver. She got to 80 and got the elite spec unlocked, but she currently is not putting out the damage she wants to. She sees these benchmarks for 30k+ DPS but when she goes to the training area to attempt, she only manages to pull 6-7k with the buffs added. I've explained that it takes time to get good with the profession, but she feels that she must be doing something wrong. Since I main Necromancer and don't know a ton about Ele, I figured I'd posed the question to those who live it.

Some info: She runs a standard Staff Build with fire/air/weaver with ascended zerker gear (believe she got the build off of metabattle). The only notable difference is that she uses the "unravel" skill so that she can fully attune to water to heal herself if she needs to. I don't believe she uses any sort of food/sharpening stones which may be where a large chunk of her DPS is falling off. Other than that, I wanted to see what advice was available.

Another note, I believe she follows the rotation laid out on metabattle as well. The link to the metabattle build is: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Staff_DPS_Fractal

If she's only getting 6-7k, she's definitely doing something wrong, with or without buffs and food. But just for the record, you're supposed to apply conditions to the golem as well as buffs to yourself. Vulnerability and Weakness in particular are very important for weavers.

Setup issues aside, it sounds to me like a rotation issue. Staff Weaver is about lining up damage modifiers, stacking damage fields and uptime of three specific skills - Lava Font, Meteor Shower and Lightning Storm. There are intricacies like attunement swapping mid-cast, conjures, picking up conjures at the right times and so forth, but these are for a later moment. For the start, I'd recommend going over a simplified rotation which outlines the uses of the important skills. For instance:

1. Start in F/E, cast 2 & 3
  2. Attune Air, cast Lightning Storm & Meteor Shower.
  3. Attune Fire, cast 2 & 3, auto (normally you'd use LH here)
  4. Attune Fire again, some auto, Lava Font.
  5. Attune Earth, cast 2 & 3.
  6. Attune Fire, cast 2, auto.
  7. Attune Fire again, Lava Font, Meteor Shower.
  8. Attune Air, cast 2.
  9. Cast Lightning Storm if off cooldown.
  10. Go to step 3.

This outlines the basic attunement rotation sequence (it can vary slightly, for instance if running Arcane over Air traitline, but that's for later as well) and the usage of the important skills. It won't get you into benchmark numbers, but it would get you a substantial part of them (I expect you can get 60-70% of the target, maybe more). Once she's familiar with these, add the conjures to the picture. They're used to fill the gaps when you auto-attack, waiting for a cooldown to come off. You can see the proper rotation on the Snow Crows site.

Archived