Already had Guild Wars 2, just bought Guild Wars 1, how do I log in?

I'm unclear on whether I need to create a new account from within Guild Wars 1 first or if there's something I can do to log in through my Guild Wars 2 account without having to go through that. I tried adding the code through the arena.net account management but it said it didn't recognize it so I'm guessing it only receives codes relevant to Guild Wars 2 unless Steam gave me a bum-deal somehow.

You have to create a GW1 account then, after you link your account to your GW2 account, you can use GW2 credentials to log in. It has been reported that you should use a different email address for the GW1 account initially since you already have a GW2 account. Most importantly though, make sure to remember the name of the toon you make! You need it for logging into GW1.

@Chaba.5410 said:You have to create a GW1 account then, after you link your account to your GW2 account, you can use GW2 credentials to log in. It has been reported that you should use a different email address for the GW1 account initially since you already have a GW2 account. Most importantly though, make sure to remember the name of the toon you make! You need it for logging into GW1.

I'm coming back to GW1 for the first time since GW2 was out.My accounts are merged (same status as for Crepuscular) but I cannot login. I'm using the same login & password as for the GW2 account (which are, as far as I know, the same as for the account management web page).Are you saying I may have to use a different account/email/password for GW1 ? (I have a list of the previous credentials but none seem to work)

@Thanatiel.8160 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:You have to create a GW1 account then, after you link your account to your GW2 account, you can use GW2 credentials to log in. It has been reported that you should use a different email address for the GW1 account initially since you already have a GW2 account. Most importantly though, make sure to remember the name of the toon you make! You need it for logging into GW1.

I'm coming back to GW1 for the first time since GW2 was out.My accounts are merged (same status as for Crepuscular) but I cannot login. I'm using the same login & password as for the GW2 account (which are, as far as I know, the same as for the account management web page).Are you saying I may have to use a different account/email/password for GW1 ? (I have a list of the previous credentials but none seem to work)

No. The process I described is for people who have GW2 accounts and are only now creating a GW1 account for the first time.

If you have, like Crepuscular, an old GW1 account that is already linked to your GW2 account, it should take your GW2 credentials. Do you get any error? You have a correct character name? Did you double-check on accounts.arena.net (or in-game in the Hall of Monuments achievements section) that it is indeed linked to your GW2 account?

You are supposed to be able to use your GW2 login credentials, but it is possible that something isn't synched right if you haven't logged into GW1 in a long time. Try changing your GW2 password to kick off a synch. Also make sure that your network is authorized since they recently changed something in GW1 to utilize the same 2FA that GW2 uses.

Thanks for the suggestion (I just had to confirm the current network so I tried again right now) but it's not it.I know my login and password are right (I tried to put wrong ones and get a different error message).

I realised a little while ago I bought the game twice : once when it was out, and once on Steam to get all the extensions.I don't remember how the GW1 games were merged account-wise.Thus I suspect the issue is the character name.

I have been having similar issues returning to GW1.. thought having my GW1 & GW2 linked via my GW2 account meant it synced credentials but mine apparently doesn't as the GW1 client just messages it can't recognise the account information.So I go back use old email address and password.. this time I get invalid password.. cant recall what the password is anymore so obviously went to try setting a new one... of course it goes to a page that no longer exists, which is why I was sure it should be using my GW2 creds... to no avail tho.

My GW2 are obviously working fine as I am on here, I am in game as we speak and I can logging to my Account without issue.

Except this morning I now don't even get my GW2 client recognising the fact I have a 2step verification requirement, it just logs straight in... something weird has happened I think

Archived