Discussion about legendary weapons/armors

There are some topics discussing the use of runes and infusions in legedary items. One can change the stats at any time, but it means that you need to apply all the runes/sigil/infusions again as to be compatible with the new build.I would like to see a way to change runes/sigils/infusions too. However, the player need to have that stat unlocked. For instance, legendary armors could have some kind of wardrobe in which the player unlock runes. Once the specific rune is unlocked, the player can change it freely at any time. How the rune is unlocked? We could have a system in which the player need to deposit the specific rune for each piece of the armor.I would love to see something similar to it.

This has been talked about to exhaustive length, and basically any system added is just bandaiding over the fact that our gear and stat system are fundamentally flawed for the type of build system this game uses. I only point this out, because the multitude of solutions to the short falls of the Stat swapping feature are unwieldy; leaving the only realistic solution is making runes and sigils in Leg gear unlimited the same way the stat swaps are. Stat swapping wasn't even initially intended as QOL improvement; but was actually made to address an otherwise irreconcilable problem of being unable to re-purpose a Legendary weapon, in light of the wardrobe changes, without destroying the skin the in the process.

So far the only reason they've refused to add "upgrade as unlocks" to Leg gear, is on the grounds of retaining the gating mechanisms (tokens) and economic impact of these items on the Market. While it can be argued its almost trivial at this point, it does fail to address the underlying problems with gear stats, gating mechnisms, crafting, and all their relationships to TP economy. If we assume rune unlocks are a thing, we're gonna see the kind of harsh swings in economy as people will buy certain items just to have unlocked, spike the prices so high they actually stick there, and eventually tank once Anet adds a new source to obtain them, eventually causing saturation once demand is satisfied. Its the exact same problem we have right now, except amplified by speculation.

More over, now that Legendary armor has been around long enough, we're reaching the terminal point of Legendary Armor's value as a gold sink. This was inevitable since its inclusion into the game, and its practical value has declined substantially due to how the meta can side line an entire class in a blink of an eye. This is further worsened by the fact that there is still only a hand full of stats used in high end play, and only 2 classes currently benefit from active stat tweaking in their day to day activities (Mesmer and Ranger). While still convenient, its so expensive that kitting multiple characters in it, or even 1 for each weight class, is harder to maintain interest in as an active goal given you already likely have a gear set that doesn't need changing very often, on the classes you use the most, and probably wanted Leg armor for in the first place.

We need a better system, or just call it quits and uncouple legendary gear from the economy beyond the initial cost. Anet painted themselves into a corner in the interest of short term solutions..... so they may as well drop the pretense, and go straight to the inevitable of terminal investment in gear.

Will +1 any thread asking for swappable sigils/infusions on legendary weapons. Weapons should work the same way as other legendary items work to provide the QoL improvement when switching builds that should come with a 1.5-2.5k gold item. If I crafted a 2000g scepter I shouldn't be forced to either carry around ascended extras or lose valuable upgrades when I want to switch builds.

The economic reasoning behind it all is a joke, valuable sigils will still be valuable, maybe not as much but who is making money with those now, will surely find a way to make the same money elsewhere if not more. If some one can find it, there was a more recent post by one of the devs saying that they were working on build templates but that legendaries posed a big challenge and that they wanted to sort that out and deliver a working system rather than a halfway finished one. I think the reason why we don't already have swappable upgrades on weapons yet is because they want to tie it in with build templates or because of the two projects are deeply intertwined where you can't solve one without solving the other.

Archived