Why are mounts allowed in cities?

eobet.4320

I'm guessing a lot of people will just go "mooouuuuunnnnnts yeeeesssssss", but then there's this thread to put things in perspective:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1189939-Do-you-agree-with-ArenaNet-s-decision-not-to-have-mounts-in-the-game

(Also, for a bonus, someone please dig up the Anet quotes about never adding mounts, especially not flying mounts, because they want people to actually enjoy the enviroments they created instead of just zooming past them?) :)

In general, it's nice to have them for some of the larger towns. However, I hope they disable mounts close to TP, bank, etc. I've wandered into one area where mounts were disabled, but I can't remember where it was. I immediately dropped off of my raptor, which is how it should be within X yards of areas where people congregate for services. I'm guessing that they would need to be cautious on the Y-dimension with our vertically-enhanced mount, or people could fall out of the sky in a no-mount zone of town.

So far I've not noticed a problem with them. You can't use the bank, TP etc. while mounted so people who are going into the crowded spots to actually use those facilities are automatically dismounted and I've not seen anyone standing on top of them on a mount.

The people I have seen using their mounts in cities have either been running between places and dismount when they get there, or they've been showing off their mount and therefore look for somewhere with plenty of open space so people can see them - like the fountains near the bank and Mystic Forge in LA.

That may change over time as more people get mounts and get bored with the new stuff in the game and look for novel ways to entertain themselves. But so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

I don't mind how the mounts were implemented, whereas each being proficient at something different such as scaling vertical walls, ravines/canyons, skimming over environmental hazards, etc. I was actually pretty against mounts from the start. But as long as they aren't too overly cartoon-y (glaring at the springer), then they're tolerable. And there is such a thing as too many/too much though.

I also like the idea where if you exceed the idle time limit while in a city, then you auto-dismount.

@crashburntoo.7431 said:In general, it's nice to have them for some of the larger towns. However, I hope they disable mounts close to TP, bank, etc. I've wandered into one area where mounts were disabled, but I can't remember where it was. I immediately dropped off of my raptor, which is how it should be within X yards of areas where people congregate for services. I'm guessing that they would need to be cautious on the Y-dimension with our vertically-enhanced mount, or people could fall out of the sky in a no-mount zone of town.

Very good point. Sometimes it's difficult enough to spot where the bloody banker is, because there's a dozen people with wings and glowy crap standing in the way...

EDIT: Someone pointed out that using the bank (or anything) auto unmounts you. I still think the point is valid, though.

@Alga.6498 said:Or the thing ANet stated years ago that GW2 will never, ever, EVER have any expansions since we got the Living World.Yeah right, :p

I don't trust ANet on anything nowadays.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Or the thing ANet stated years ago that GW2 will never, ever, EVER have any expansions since we got the Living World.Yeah right, :p

I don't trust ANet on anything nowadays.

Please show the quote where they said never. To my knowledge what they said about
was

“We don’t need an expansion to pay the bills, and we’re not focused on an expansion right now. I won’t try and predict the future, maybe someday we will do one, maybe we won’t. But for now we are focused on the living world. We believe we can update the world and adapt the world in any way we want to through these bi-weekly updates.”

So unless you can show a quote that say never I'm going to say you've misremembered it.

I don't remember them saying never never EVER getting an expansion. I recall them saying they weren't working on or thinking about an expansion at the time because of focus on living world, and that IF living world went how they hoped, that the focus would remain on living world.

Archived