Chat

Am I the only one who complicates external voice chat methods? They slow down the PC and mean extra coordination problem :sLately, in many games the chat has been incorporated into their functions, at low cost and quite stable... would not it be good to be able to talk with your group and/or squadron just by activating an option?

P.D.: With an activation button (that stays pressed or alternates) that allows you to speak or listen when it's important... for those who play listening to music

@"Purgatori.3645" said:

Is that the use of these programs was "fine", but in other games I have noticed how it improves performance (and is much more comfortable) to avoid having to use an external chat, instead of integrating it into the game ...I SUPPOSE GW2 it will also improve (and, even more, it would be more comfortable to make a group and ..."that's it!")

But, if I'm the only one... :anguished:

Not everyone wants or can use voice chat, it is already required in many guilds for certain events (raids, perhaps fractals, lots of WvW/PvP etc). If a voice com was hardwired into the game, then arguably more people would demand voice com, or even only play with others using voice com etc. Which could end up leaving out others (most parents that have to watch/listen to kids, not wake them sleeping, deaf people, other problems).

I think the current system is a good compromise, it lets those that are interested in using voice-com use it. And those that doesn't want to use or can't, don't have to be stuck watching LFG's with "voice only!" etc.

I personally use Discord, but mostly for the text chat, because it gives us a way in the guild(s) to keep in contact outside of the game. I've dropped in on the voice every now and then, but I usually get headaches after 30 minutes of listening to people talk on my headset, so not something for me.

Programs like Discord is good for a lot more than just the voice-com, and man guilds etc use it as a way to build community. I don't think an in-game voice-com would fix that alone. ANet would have to do quite a bit of extending and developing on GW2, by making external clients for text/guild/voice etc, as well in order to give a decent similar package for guilds that would want to use it for community building. I'm going to guess that they find it easier to leave that to the guys at Discord/TeamSpeak etc, and rather focus on making the game :)

Well, GW2 is a resource-intensive game to begin with, so it may be that, in those other games, you could have used an external program without a noticeable dip in performance, but difficult-to-optimize game like GW2 will take a hit from using 3rd party voice chat programs.

What are these other games? Are they also MMORPGs, or are they games with smaller areas and fewer models onscreen at once?

Hmm... I use Discord and in my opinion you would have to have really bad Ram or something if it effects the performance. Also while we play we do use the in-game text chat and not the Discord chat. Also Discord has an overlay so when you play you see who enters the chat room and who speaks so you don't have to toggle between the game or the app just to see.

Also a good thing with Discord is that you can join in or comment that you are late for the raid or whatever even if you are not logged in to the game. Discord is everything you need for VC and Gaming Community ?

Archived