Why isn't GW2 sold on Steam?

Zibbles.6349

@Zibbles.6349 said:Basically the title, I think it would be great for the game's visibility as steam has a large user base.

Steam is not a recommendable platform. Not only is Valve a greedy, self-centered company, but the Steam client will gradually stop supporting (and ultimately working on) operating systems older than Windows 10. You never know where this will lead, but it sure sounds elitist to me as you will be dictacted which OS to use - so it's better to keep the game independent of any third party platform.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Zibbles.6349 said:Basically the title, I think it would be great for the game's visibility as steam has a large user base.

Steam is not a recommendable platform. Not only is Valve a greedy, self-centered company, but the Steam client will gradually stop supporting (and ultimately working on) operating systems older than Windows 10. You never know where this will lead, but it sure sounds elitist to me as you will be dictacted which OS to use - so it's better to keep the game independent of any third party platform.

True and dont forget steam might not surviev epic store or discord store for producers are stopping supporting it

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:the Steam client will gradually stop supporting (and ultimately working on) operating systems older than Windows 10.

This is the first time I've heard of this. Do you have a source on this?

Yes, official announcement on Steam itself a month or so ago. XP is already off the list, Vista maybe too (or soon, don't recall exactly), then by logic Win7 will be next at some point. They want to focus on the latest operating systems to boost performance and add new features that no one really needs, which is a lame reason, because they could leave a standard/slim version for older OSs if they wanted to - but they don't. After all, Steam should only be an access platform to games and not the main thing.

Edit - A few links I found:https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-valve-support-windows-xp-vista,37299.html...and dozens of more announcement on various platforms.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:the Steam client will gradually stop supporting (and ultimately working on) operating systems older than Windows 10.

This is the first time I've heard of this. Do you have a source on this?

Yes, official announcement on Steam itself a month or so ago. XP is already off the list, Vista maybe too (or soon, don't recall exactly), then by logic Win7 will be next at some point. They want to focus on the latest operating systems to boost performance and add new features that no one really needs, which is a lame reason, because they could leave a standard/slim version for older OSs if they wanted to - but they don't. After all, Steam should only be an access platform to games and not the main thing.

I meant post a link where they said that, not repeat what they said.

I went ahead and just Googled it and found this for anyone else who's curious:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577

Archived