DLC prices seem strange.

My partner created a free account to play with me a week ago and she wanted the DLC. She saw on the front page of the gem store something called the standard collection. she spent £21.49 and got access to the full game and both DLC's. I was interested and I already had a full paid account from before guild wars was free to play and thought that sounded interesting. I was looking for the same deal and i could not find it. The only thing i can seem to find is buying both DLC's for £42.99 which is exactly double the price my partner paid. I was wondering if i am missing something here.Why did a free account get an offer that gave them the full paid experience plus 2 DLC for half the price I would need for just the 2 DLC?

The original game became play for free. There is no difference between play for free accounts and those who paid for it (atleast not in the offers you get). You still keep access to the same content (although you had the pleassure to play the game since you bought it, while freeto play only had this pleassure since they launched F2P.As for the price difference. The game was 50% off as part of a discount.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:The original game became play for free. There is no difference between play for free accounts and those who paid for it (atleast not in the offers you get). You still keep access to the same content (although you had the pleassure to play the game since you bought it, while freeto play only had this pleassure since they launched F2P.As for the price difference. The game was 50% off as part of a discount.

Is that actually the case.. I was under the impression F2P have various restriction tied to them.. they are trial accounts and as such would have things unavailable or limited/restricted in order to get you to upgrade to full paid.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:The original game became play for free. There is no difference between play for free accounts and those who paid for it (atleast not in the offers you get). You still keep access to the same content (although you had the pleassure to play the game since you bought it, while freeto play only had this pleassure since they launched F2P.As for the price difference. The game was 50% off as part of a discount.

Is that actually the case.. I was under the impression F2P have various restriction tied to them.. they are trial accounts and as such would have things unavailable or limited/restricted in order to get you to upgrade to full paid.

I explained it in a way that there is no difference for the offers. There are restrictions, but calling it a trial account goes too far imo. There are games with F2P with all kinds of benefits locked behind paywalls. in those situations I would call it a trial account. But in GW2, the most restrictions are to prevent misuse by RTM-bots. The other restrictions exist to promote micro transactions. (e.g. limitation of the character slot). Also, you can not upgrade to the full game, you just can remove the restrictions by getting an expansion.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

I explained it in a way that there is no difference for the offers. There are restrictions, but calling it a trial account goes too far imo. There are games with F2P with all kinds of benefits locked behind paywalls. in those situations I would call it a trial account. But in GW2, the most restrictions are to prevent misuse by RTM-bots. The other restrictions exist to promote micro transactions. (e.g. limitation of the character slot). Also, you can not upgrade to the full game, you just can remove the restrictions by getting an expansion.

They are still essentially trial accounts.. try the old core game under restriction and reduced benefit.. once you buy into Hot or PoF your essentially upgrading your status.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

They are still essentially trial accounts.. try the old core game under restriction and reduced benefit.. once you buy into Hot or PoF your essentially upgrading your status.

Trialaccounts are, as the name implies, accounts to test the game. To see if it is what you want. That is not considered Free to play as it still requires you to buy the game to expierence it to the fullest. The restrictions are not in place to limit you so you are urged to buy it. The restrictions are in place to prevent misuse of F2P accounts by RTM-bots. It doesnt make them essentially trial accounts. They allow you to do the same things as the regular accounts, except some minor restrictions that are there to prevent misuse.

No log-in rewards, no access to Gold-to-Gem exchange, no ability to transfer Worlds, among others, are pretty severe limitations.Most, including the Wiki, consider the Play4Free accounts, trial accounts. Also, if one can acquire a Heroic Edition Key (which were given out not too long ago), one can 'upgrade' to the full Core game.

It really matters not, as it has nothing to do with the OP. The OP wondered why his/her friend paid less when purchasing the expansions than when he/she wanted to purchase. The answer was, and still is, that said friend purchased during last week's discount promotion.Absolutely nothing to do with 'free to play'.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

Trialaccounts are, as the name implies, accounts to test the game. To see if it is what you want. That is not considered Free to play as it still requires you to buy the game to expierence it to the fullest. The restrictions are not in place to limit you so you are urged to buy it. The restrictions are in place to prevent misuse of F2P accounts by RTM-bots. It doesnt make them essentially trial accounts. They allow you to do the same things as the regular accounts, except some minor restrictions that are there to prevent misuse.

not only test but to play the game hardcore if you're contented with viable certain Core class setups (one Core Class setup can even solo the Eternal Battlegrounds overgrown grub with the right gear/skills/trait). You can level 2 slots to level 80 and you have 2 characters at maxed. you can buy the basic exotics and rares like pearl/primordius/draconicgear and the trinkets you can get from pve (temples in orr)[i think orichalcum trinkets are not available to f2p) and put some jewels [ORBS] in those gear to compensate. most rare skins are available for you to unlock. Superior Runes on the TP that are for sale aren't available. You can just do reward tracks/play Core Dungeons and unlock Dungeon Gears already Runed.

and with all of those mentioned and prepared, you can WvWvW/do Core PvE dungeons or even events around tyria. or the usual, sPvP and get your gold there faster. also the Tomes of knowledge, which can also be gotten in WvWvW reward tracks.

(this is intended for players who don't have an angel account to invest on/finance the F2P)

Trial Accounts would suggest the accounts expire or require a subscription to keep using. This is not the case.

A lot of things are locked out to encourage you purchase the game as we all did originally, but is for the most part, optional.

This allows new users who have never played the game the ability to see if they enjoy the game enough to purchase it. It is not necessarily meant to be "permanently free, no limitations."