PoF Intro Music is Just Bad

Helvius.5682

@Lanhelin.3480 said:

@Helvius.5682 said:Anyway, how about a community contest for the winning composition to replace the intro music?

You already can change the music yourself:
If the Music folder isn't there just create it. I tried this, it works. Without the code-line to search the music elsewhere both the music file(s) and the playlist file(s) must be in the Music folder (subfolders won't work). Renaming/removing the playlist file disables it and the original PoF music will be played again.

Does that mean I can have a character-selection with ACDC´s Highway To Hell as Background-Soundtrack ?

Why anyone would call a nice, calm Arabian Nights music theme "bad" is beyond me. The HoT theme was so annoying, because it was stressful. The character selection screen is not suppose to (quoting the OP here) "create [a] sense of dread [or] of tension" and to rush you into the "impending apocalypse of Tyria". It is supposed to welcome you to your favorite MMO, to make you feel at home and invite you to play the game while you browse through your list of characters.

Intro music for a character-select screen should open boldly or prominently enough to get the tone/feeling across in the ~10 seconds while a player chooses a character. Vanilla gw2 music got it right, as does WoW and OSRS. HoT was too low for too long so all you heard for the first ~12 seconds was buildup, if it started 13s or 26s in it would have been better. PoF has a similar issue, would've been better if the section 1m40s in was the opening and tapered off. As a track it's good, but as login music it doesn't give you that friendly slap in the face call-to-adventure vibe.

I don't find the PoF theme bad, but it's really nowhere near as good as the HoT theme, particularly when, as someone else pointed out, the character selection screen isn't something you'd spend too long in, you have to start strong.

And no, I didn't like the original GW2 theme. The start might have been loud, but nowhere near as melodically compelling as the HoT theme.

@Arzurag.7506 said:

@Lanhelin.3480 said:

@Helvius.5682 said:Anyway, how about a community contest for the winning composition to replace the intro music?

You already can change the music yourself:
If the Music folder isn't there just create it. I tried this, it works. Without the code-line to search the music elsewhere both the music file(s) and the playlist file(s) must be in the Music folder (subfolders won't work). Renaming/removing the playlist file disables it and the original PoF music will be played again.

Does that mean I can have a character-selection with ACDC´s Highway To Hell as Background-Soundtrack ?

Yes, you could do this. You could also use Barbie Girl by Aqua if you're a masochist.

Archived