New computer help

So after realizing that my computer is really not up to par for playing GW2 - or any other game, for that matter - and realizing that the graphics card is about to croak... It appears that it's time to hunt for a new computer.Just one problem: I'm not computer literate in the least. :/ CPU? Graphics card? [spinny eyes] Might as well be speaking gibberish for all the sense it makes to me...

Which leads me to my question. I think I found a decent gaming desktop - based on the reviews, it seems pretty solid for its price. (Copy-paste the link due to the forums having a bugaboo at the moment.) https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883289034 I'm wondering if these specs could run GW2 at medium-high settings with decent FPS. My current computer can run GW2 on high settings...when nobody else is around. In meta events - or capital cities - or anywhere a lot of people are gathered - or in expansion maps like Heart of Thorns - frames drop to single digits even on the lowest possible settings. Getting a bit tired of seeing the game as a slideshow.

@Batel.9206 said:I'm wondering if these specs could run GW2 at medium-high settings with decent FPS.

Yes.

My current computer can run GW2 on high settings...when nobody else is around. In meta events - or capital cities - or anywhere a lot of people are gathered - or in expansion maps like Heart of Thorns - frames drop to single digits even on the lowest possible settings. Getting a bit tired of seeing the game as a slideshow.

That's not necessarily an issue with your computer but with ANet's server performance and the game's optimization. The same happens to pretty much everyone, including skill lags during big group events. People have to decrease their player model settings for that reason during such populated events.

Thank you! :smile: I did more research (and enlisted the help of a more computer-savvy friend) and it does indeed look like this computer will be able to handle GW2 (especially HoT/PoF) just fine. My current computer barely meets the absolute minimum specs required for this game, hence the slideshow performance in everywhere except wide-open fields - and even then, running at high or low settings, I get a lot of stuttering frames (worth it for such a lovely game...). I'm aware of GW2's awkward optimization, but literally anything better than my current set-up would be a massive improvement for me.