Need some help on revenant

Fractyon.7589

Im still pretty new to the game and im having a bit of an hard time understanding the differences between herald and renegade. On metabuilds most builds for herald are dps and most builds for renegade are for support, but on gw2 official wiki it says that herald is a support spec and that renegade is a dps spec. If anyone could shed some light on the matter i would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

@"Fractyon.7589" said:Im still pretty new to the game and im having a bit of an hard time understanding the differences between herald and renegade. On metabuilds most builds for herald are dps and most builds for renegade are for support, but on gw2 official wiki it says that herald is a support spec and that renegade is a dps spec. If anyone could shed some light on the matter i would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Be careful about the wiki. It might be linked to the game and hosted on ArenaNet's servers, but that's exactly as far as its officialness goes. Every word on there was written by a player, not ArenaNet staff. (If you find a contribution by "cynique", I wrote it.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Fractyon.7589" said:Im still pretty new to the game and im having a bit of an hard time understanding the differences between herald and renegade. On metabuilds most builds for herald are dps and most builds for renegade are for support, but on gw2 official wiki it says that herald is a support spec and that renegade is a dps spec. If anyone could shed some light on the matter i would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Be careful about the wiki. It might be linked to the game and hosted on ArenaNet's servers, but that's exactly as far as its officialness goes. Every word on there was written by a player, not ArenaNet staff. (If you find a contribution by "cynique",
I
wrote it.)

Then herald is the support and renegade the dps?

@Fractyon.7589 said:Im still pretty new to the game and im having a bit of an hard time understanding the differences between herald and renegade. On metabuilds most builds for herald are dps and most builds for renegade are for support, but on gw2 official wiki it says that herald is a support spec and that renegade is a dps spec. If anyone could shed some light on the matter i would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Each class has a lot of different builds that cover different roles, and the build sites like metabattle or snowcrows typically only show meta builds. There are dps builds for both and support builds for both. If you are just looking at meta builds then yes, certain elite specs are often funneled into a specific role.

Both Herald and Renegade are support specs

• Herald can acts as boons provider, power dps, healing specs.
  • Renegade is deemed to be a support spec despite of having powerful condi dps is because the amount of alacrity up time, also able to heal as well.
  • Both specs are rather similar in function so it pretty easy to confuse when you are new.

The only things you need to look at when you're deciding between Herald and Renegade is this:

• Herald tends to lean more towards passive support, the function of that elite is more or less granting pulsing boons if uptime is more considered, but it makes general combat a little tricky overall, and skews more towards power with extra concentration. If you want to fight alongside others and provide a sustainable buff for those next to you, this is your support elite.
  • Renegade leans more towards active support. Citadel Orders provide group might and alacrity that last quite well if you have a concentration build, but offer other niche options, but effectiveness skews towards condition damage (Citadel Bombardment + Shortbow, bleed-enhancing and/or bleed-using traits). Power options are also available, but if your focus is to enhance skill cooldown recovery, then this is your support eltie.

Both classes do have dps options but I've had better success with Renegade than Herald. Your mileage may vary, and if one doesn't work, do give the other one a go.

TL;DR: Herald has might, fury, healing, swiftness pulsing buffs along with other support-capable needs and favors power. Renegade has might (more potent at full stacks of fervor) and alacrity for support options, and while you can use power, it favors condition damage.