Legendary Weapons and Sigils

X T D.6458

Can we please get the option to swap sigils on legendary weapons, the same way we can swap runes on legendary armor. I know you said you were looking at the possible economic impact that it might have, but that was quite some time ago. Is there any progress or info that you could share with us?

@X T D.6458 said:Can we please get the option to swap sigils on legendary weapons, the same way we can swap runes on legendary armor.

What they said was they had planned to introduce it and ran into a stumbling block. We speculated that the entire reason was economic, but ANet never said that specifically (at best, just suggested that was part of the issue). Since we don't know the reason that they postponed implementation, we won't really know how long it's going to take.

@X T D.6458 said:Is there any progress or info that you could share with us?

I'm pretty sure that they'll share info as soon as they can. Usually, they only post if they have a clear release date or if they are sure it cannot possibly happen soon™. Thus "no news" is pretty good news.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@X T D.6458 said:Can we please get the option to swap sigils on legendary weapons, the same way we can swap runes on legendary armor.

What they said was they had planned to introduce it and ran into a stumbling block. We speculated that the
entire
reason was economic, but ANet never said that specifically (at best, just suggested that was part of the issue). Since we don't know the reason that they postponed implementation, we won't really know how long it's going to take.

@X T D.6458 said:Is there any progress or info that you could share with us?

I'm pretty sure that they'll share info as soon as they can. Usually, they only post if they have a clear release date
or
if they are sure it cannot possibly happen soon™. Thus "no news" is pretty good news.

I am pretty sure I remember reading that they were trying to forecast the potential economic impact of implementing this feature, and that this was holding it up.

@"X T D.6458" said:I am pretty sure I remember reading that they were trying to forecast the potential economic impact of implementing this feature, and that this was holding it up.

From the Flashpoint AMA

Q: is there any chance we'll get sigil swapping on legendary weapons?
: We had originally intended that you should be able to change the sigils in the same way as runes for armor (so we had thought of it for everyone out there who thought we forgot :) ). However, when we started our economic impact analysis it became clear that we needed to do a deeper investigation to assess potential risks we had not previously foreseen. The investigation is currently ongoing.

From the 'One Path Ends' AMA

Q — When legendary armor was released, there was talk about legendary weapons allowing players to swap sigils like legendary armor. …Is there any movement being made in bringing this functionality over to weapons?AndrewM — We have some things we’re working on in regards to this, but it’s not far enough along to discuss specifics.

I can see why lots of people have assumed that economic considerations are the only reason for the hold up, but the language is ambiguous. It could be that the original mechanic has been completely scrapped (due to economic concerns), but that the current hold up is in getting the UI for a new mechanic to work seamlessly. It could be that they decided that this dovetails with build templates, so they are planning (hoping?) to release them together.

It's been five months since Legendary armor (and rune swapping) were added to the game; isn't that long enough to say that the issue is no longer entirely economic, if it even ever was just that?

Archived