[sPvP Build:] Power Mirage

Windwalker.7421

So after quite a number of different builds since the release of PoF, I've finally come up with a Power Mirage build I'm enjoying. I've been playing this for a few days now, and unlike many previous frustrating attempts, this builds is really growing on me. I only play solo in PuGs and the build reflects that. It's major strengths are +1, 1v1, and mobility so much like most/all Mirage builds it plays a lot like a Thief.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAsf3anknBNqhFpBmpBMMjlTDzfBOBzgljgmTCgMAsACKA-jJRHABZXGAgTCgAPBg/3fAA

The main killer combo is a TP => Sword Ambush + Jaunt => F1 Shatter combo, sometimes preceded by an iDuelist, or a BF thrown in. (and/or swap to Axe #3)

I really thought I would love Desert Distortion and False Oasis, but Mirrors in general are just not working out for me at all. I'm just too squishy to be forced back into a location for a very short-duration defense in return. False Oasis is kinda OK, but the Mirror takes too long to appear, especially considering you're completely lacking a burst heal on a very squishy class. I can't complain enough about Mirrors, they just add absolutely nothing useful to the class ATM in my opinion.

I am noticing the value of Mirage Mantle though, because my most vulnerable moments tend to be right after Mirage Cloak wears off but I'm still in the Ambush animation or follow-up attacks. I still would love to see MM duration increased to 2-3 seconds, but it's definitely showing it's value in this otherwise very squishy Elite.

Self Deception also is quite good with even just Jaunt for creating an extra Clone just when you need it most.

Axe is kinda meh, but the burst from #3 very much fits this kind of fast paced build. The Pistol augments the build nicely with some ranged damage and a pretty strong interrupt/CC.

So yeah, the sad news is that this build does not use the Mirage Heal skill, no Mirage utilities, and no Mirrors what so ever. Many of the traits too are lackluster or even just completely irrelevant IMO.

It is however a very fun and faced paced build that IMO is stronger than other Power Mesmer builds due to the extreme mobility (and interrupt) of Sword Ambush, Axe, and Jaunt.

Some feedback based on my experiences with Mirage:

• Illusionary Ambush > Decoy
  • I would still take False Oasis over Ether Feast but that's debatable.
  • If you are actually burst-focused, then Desperate Decoy would be a better choice, as Fury on Phantasms is not really needed for that short period of time, but DD can save your life.
  • Blinding Dissipation makes no sense if you are not condi based and not using Ineptitude. Fencer's Finesse instead would give you +150 ferocity very quickly with Blurred Frenzy (plus faster recharge).
  • Plus I would seriously consider Berserker's Amulet, but that really depends on the playstyle.
  • And I prefer the boonstrip sigil on one of the weapons for burst builds usually.

Probably the GS variant would still top the damage of your build, but I never really enjoyed playing GS so I can go along with it :D

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:

• Blinding Dissipation makes no sense if you are not condi based and not using Ineptitude. Fencer's Finesse instead would give you +150 ferocity very quickly with Blurred Frenzy (plus faster recharge).

Blinding Dissipation makes a lot of sense when you're dueling. Blinds can make you evade a lot of important attacks and make you a bit more harder to kill.

@Refia Montes.3205 said:

Blinding Dissipation makes a lot of sense when you're dueling. Blinds can make you evade a lot of important attacks and make you a bit more harder to kill.

From what I understand, this is more like a hit-n-run build, so pumping out more damage and more frequently would definitely help more. Not to mention that during your burst you should be invulnerable (I mean, evade attacks) already thanks to Mirage Cloak. You also have double stealth based on my recommendations.

@Refia Montes.3205 said:Its like you can stack 150 Ferocity in a real match anyways... and its a really small damage boost almost negligible.

Blurred Frenzy stacks it up in a second. That's the point.Also, it's a defensive skill at the same time with huge dmg output, far better than Blind, and you get 20% off the recharge. I think it is a no contest anyway

I've used both BD and FF and and both are good! It's a toss up if you ask me. I like the AE blind as I often end up having to fly into a pile of people fighting, trying to pick off the targeted person with an unexpected burst, but FF is really good too if nothing else then to reduce CD on BF.

That said, I try not to get used to using BF offensively, because it's so valuable defensively when you don't have much defenses. ;-)

Of course I was using GS too in my previous Power Builds, but I was just having a hard time getting the most out of it. I mean the iZerker is generally better than the iDuelist, MB can really pack a punch, and MS is great to add to Jaunt+MW for sure...but I was having survivability issues. This certainly can be a L2P thing, won't deny that, but Axe is slightly more forgiving IMO, has good mobility and Clone generation to boot. (Same goes for Zerker Amulet, I just die too fast with it!) I have had really good results with Axe 3, which I often combo with the Pistol #5 to avoid the annoying misses. (When I see a Deadeye on the side somewhere doing his thing, I like to put and iDuelist on him as I'm closing in, Stunshot him, and Axe3 as follow-up...then Sword Ambush+Jaunt+MW.)

The Pistol I haven't used in about 2 years I'd say, and suddenly I like it again, which kinda surprised me. It's working out better than I expected.

I am not a big fan of Desperate Decoy. It's OK but sometimes interferes with what you're doing, or simply gets wasted. I like PF on the iDuelist, even if this build is not ranged focused. It's a decent enough ranged option and the iDuelist stays at range so you can often keep it up for 2 attacks as you're busy leaping around with Axe or Sword Ambushes.

Thanks for the input, and I will try those boon stripping sigils, that sounds like a good idea. ;-)

I've been running a power shatter with GS and S/S (though the second sword could be replaced with anything according to taste. Torch is a viable option).

Trait wise, I prefer Distorted Desert, Desperate Decoy, and Infinite Horizons to the traits you've got. Utilities are blink and portal, with the third being a flex slot depending on enemy lineup. I really think infinite horizon is core for this sort of build over stun break on dodge, because it gives you a lot more options for shatter combos and plays so well with the domination trait line (a quarter second daze into a 1 second stun, and all your dazes stack vulnerability, which gives you so much damage).

Hmm I had forgotten about the Vulnerability that IH would lay down...might have to try that. I just didn't see much damage difference between running with IH or w/o, so I thought I'd take the dodge trait. The interrupts are nice too though I guess, but even w/o that you'll stack a lot of Vuln. Nice! Thanks!

@Refia Montes.3205 said:Its like you can stack 150 Ferocity in a real match anyways... and its a really small damage boost almost negligible.

Blurred Frenzy stacks it up in a second. That's the point.Also, it's a defensive skill at the same time with huge dmg output, far better than Blind, and you get 20% off the recharge. I think it is a no contest anyway

FF's strength mostly comes from the 20% cd reduction and not from the Ferocity. Anyways, I'm not gonna argue further that BD is better than FF, I am just merely stating the fact that it is a trait that's worth taking even on Power builds, just because how helpful applying AoE blunds are.

@"Refia Montes.3205" said:Its like you can stack 150 Ferocity in a real match anyways... and its a really small damage boost almost negligible.

15 ferocity per Strike , Maximum 10 stacks , BF = 8 hits , 2,5 sec cast time

"Stacks it up in a Second"

Hmmmm

Wont even stack it up in 2.5 seconds is what u wanted to say right ? Its okay using terms like " give me a second" , but in competetive games 0,1 second can mean everything.

@FaboBabo.3581 said:

@"Refia Montes.3205" said:Its like you can stack 150 Ferocity in a real match anyways... and its a really small damage boost almost negligible.

15 ferocity per Strike , Maximum 10 stacks , BF = 8 hits , 2,5 sec cast time

"Stacks it up in a Second"

Hmmmm

Wont even stack it up in 2.5 seconds is what u wanted to say right ? Its okay using terms like " give me a second" , but in competetive games 0,1 second can mean everything.

Just try it yourself. You should have AT LEAST sw3 illusion active, swap in, and try it. It will stack up way sooner than the cast time. Not to mention if you are hitting multiple enemies, but thats not even needed. (probably sw5 illusion too if you use sword as offhand like I usually do).

Anyway, as others mentioned the strong point of the trait is the - 20% recharge part. But that does not take away the benefit of basically free ferocity.

Archived