Guild Wars 1 dances

As much as I would love to see some of the old dances come back it's not something they can really do and be fair about it. Charr would suffer, yet again, when it comes to how well the dances would transfer over. Some would look down right goofy. Imagine them doing the Twirling Dervish or attempting to belly dance like the female Ele or Rit. Or either Charr or Asura trying the monks Chi routines... Seeing Charr attempt those would be down right sad and painful to try and animate. Just wouldn't look right and people would complain even more about racial inequality. Would also mean more reasons for them to put off additional races ever being added (still crossing fingers that we get more in the future). Just easier for them to stick with racial dances and items that grant very basic, simple, dances.

Loved seeing these videos back in the day.

@Snowflake.7952 said:Hello All,

I would like to suggest something about outfits and dances. I am an old GW1 Player and think it would be nice to see the old dance styles again. They could be connected to the outfits for example deverish, monk or elementalist ( elonian ).

not a bad idea, i remember i would spend hours on youtube watching GW1 dance videos instead of playing the game, lol

@"Vyriis.6258" said:As much as I would love to see some of the old dances come back it's not something they can really do and be fair about it. Charr would suffer, yet again, when it comes to how well the dances would transfer over. Some would look down right goofy. Imagine them doing the Twirling Dervish or attempting to belly dance like the female Ele or Rit. Or either Charr or Asura trying the monks Chi routines...

all these are done with motion capture, so should be ok

i think it more of a licensing issue, as the choreography of dances are copyrightablehttps://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/fortnite-dance-lawsuit-1203092141/

@"Vyriis.6258" said:As much as I would love to see some of the old dances come back it's not something they can really do and be fair about it. Charr would suffer, yet again, when it comes to how well the dances would transfer over. Some would look down right goofy. Imagine them doing the Twirling Dervish or attempting to belly dance like the female Ele or Rit. Or either Charr or Asura trying the monks Chi routines... Seeing Charr attempt those would be down right sad and painful to try and animate. Just wouldn't look right and people would complain even more about racial inequality. Would also mean more reasons for them to put off additional races ever being added (still crossing fingers that we get more in the future). Just easier for them to stick with racial dances and items that grant very basic, simple, dances.

Loved seeing these videos back in the day.

I also loved watching those back in the day. And I didn't even play guildwars 1.

@"crepuscular.9047" said:all these are done with motion capture, so should be ok

Done with motion capture or not, the way the Charr and Asuran bodies are made doesn't work with a dance created by humans for humans. The Monk, for example, require leg movements that just wouldn't work when trying to force a Charr to do the same thing. Not only that but they are meant for characters that have an upright posture, not a slumped/hunched posture; something that even if you tried to correct it would further look wrong. Same issue with Asura in regards to their legs; though it wouldn't look as weird you'd be trying to force a race with short stubby legs to do a dance not fit for them. Belly dancing and Whirling Dervish could be done, sure; but again with the hunched posture of the Charr it simply wouldn't look/feel right. Taking dance styles made for humans and forcing them onto species that aren't designed to do them is not something easily done if you want it to look right and would require further animation beyond just motion capture if they ever attempted to try it.

i think it more of a licensing issue, as the choreography of dances are copyrightablehttps://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/fortnite-dance-lawsuit-1203092141/

And on the note of copyrighting dance routines: The reason I only mentioned Whirling Dervish, Belly Dancing, and Chi Routines (Could also further this to River Dancing, Mosh pit, and what ever the hell the Rangers do) is because none of those can actually be copyrighted unless you are looking at how a specific person is doing it and copy them to the T without their permission. Belly dancing is a style that anyone can do, alter, and make their own interpretation of. Whirling Dervish is a ceremonial Sufi dance that, sure, could draw some ire from some, maybe, possibly; but it's not something that can be copyrighted. And the Monks Chi Routines are the same as belly dancing; everyone is able to perform, alter, and interpret as they see fit.