2020 Laptop Suggestion.(I know, another one right?)

RizelStar.3724

I know, I know, I know, I could easily use the search function(I have), I could use the the YT links to optimize my frame rate and gameplay performance(Which I've done).

I get it and desktops are always going to be superior, I'm okay with that. As usual my rl priorities and life in general I won't be stationary a lot or least enough for a desktop. So as the common question what is a good laptop suggestion that could possibly give 60 frames or more on max settings while playing GW2? At least in most gameplay, so far I can do max but then have to switch to low on WVW and Big open world events. Now I'm not sure I've seen a topic on the AMD Ryzen laptops so I'm curious to know if that might be something to look at.

I have my eyes on the Lenovo Legion 5/7i AMD Ryzen and the HP Omen AMD Ryzen.

HP Omen's specs areProcessor(?) AMD Ryzen™ 5 4600H (3.0 GHz, up to 4.0 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, 6 cores) NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti (4 GB)Memory 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

Feel like those are the two important, looking at other threads, I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, memory is very important for GW2, though with processor as well as the cores too.I'm slight new to this and again I know it's been asked over the years and can be research which I have, yet I find myself still unsure. So I'm seeing if anyone has any thoughts/insight that can help me with an upcoming purchase.

Sorry in advance if there is a literal topic like this, I checked this week and could've missed it, anyway hopefully even if so I'll be met with assurance.

Edited: After reading the first 3 comments and also thinking, that’s most likely true I shouldn’t expect 60 FPS on max setting everywhere, I also believe that has to do with Gw2’s optimization, well I’m more so looking to not have to switch my graphic preset settings to low all the time, ha ha, just smooth performance for most of my gameplay.

I did use DX9 to 12 on my current laptop, not too much a change for my Frame rate. I’ll note to look at cooling to and appreciate the helpful comments so far, still open to more suggestions.

tbh laptops (gaming or high spec) are a better/superior choice than desktops if you really love gaming and your work/life forces you to be on the go all the time (like you have frequent business trips local and abroad, or you're always moving cross country/inter-state/inter-province/etc. etc.) just buy a car-charger for the laptop you're buying and you'll be set wherever you are as long as there's 4g/lte/5g/wifi

if battery life is important to you, try to find a laptop with similar specs but smaller screen (and preferably non-IPS)

for GW2, RAM consumption is not that bad on the 64bit client. having 16gb is enough if you plan to have discord + steam + other chat application + a few browser tabs open and still have free ram to spare even in the most demanding wvw/pve meta event situations ingame.

as for max settings, it's very hard to get 60+fps (and never dropping below) consistent on a gaming laptop, you will have to specifically adjust shadows, character model limit, reflections, and draw distance to lowest/lower than max to gain more consistent FPS

the rest of the settings like shaders, textures, post processing, character model quality, ambient occlusion, depth of field etc. can be kept at maximum -- the game will still be very pretty even with the above settings tuned lower. there's also the directx12 mod, d912pxy to help you utilise your modern hardware better but even then it wont help you gain that much performance, on the average it'll help you get more stable frames so it's still a big help.

That laptop is great for a gaming laptop, that doesn't weigh a ton, but GW2 has specific demands.

You won't get your 60 fps at highest settings in crowded places - not even close. No CPU can do that and especially not a laptop CPU, which has lower clock speeds than a desktop CPU to save energy and to stay in termal limits. This is critical for GW2, because the game scales with architecture and clock speed, but not with threads.

Nevertheless if you want to play the game on a laptop, this is one of the best ones you can buy for it. Just don't expect 60 fps maxxed out at crowded places. You will drop to below 30 fps in wvw - that's normal.

Thank you guys for the responses so far, taking note of everything I read so far. I’m sure it’s nothing all that complicated, just want to make a good investment, you know?

Still don’t mind more responses, hopefully this helps others as well.

Also far as cooling I do use a portable cooling unit(can’t think of the name at the moment, pad), that I place on laptop. Though definitely will still check the link on keeping my laptop cool.