Improving Info and Direction for New Players

Guild Wars 2 is the MMO that gives players too much freedom. It is great that players can customize their builds, explore all across the world map, and engage in content without having to be stuck in hard roles. What is the benefit of a more structured, on-rails experience though?

Progress. Direction. That feeling that you know what you should do with your play time.

GW2 lacks these things and as a result many new players can feel aimless. They get lost in all that freedom. They run builds with mismatched gear (or no stats selected at all) and weird runes. They don't understand where to go after 80, or what role their class covers. There are external resources that help answer these questions, but it has been a failure of the game that the internal direction is so poor.

With the upcoming expansion, here are some things that I think would improve the new player experience in the game:

1. A recommended setting for gearing. When a player selects their traits and weapon, the game should propose a list of recommended stat types they should consider. You still let the player choose the gear, but you encourage them to connect their gear stats with their intended damage type.
  2. Overhaul the Achievement Page/Wardrobe: There are lots of rewards in the game to pursue (and a billion collections buried within each other). Hovering over an achievement reward or wardrobe item should direct the player on how they can get started pursuing what they want. Putting an achievement on your watch list should improve the UI direction towards progressing the achievement.
  3. Fix the level 80-boost: Yes, I know they just fixed it. What I mean is they should reconsider what they give players. Soldiers? Really? Rabid is alright on Necro but Carrion might be better. Ele should be given Celestial as Ele is a very mixed damage profession. Most other professions could be given Marauders. Runes and Sigils should also not come pre-equipped. Inform the player of what upgrades are and how they work. This boost is supposed to be a tutorial! Teach people!

I made this to express some areas needing improvement for helping new players feel progress and direction. Please add any areas that you see, or that you may have struggled with! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I think the level 80 boost intentionally includes less than ideal stats on your equipment so players have an incentive to go out and get something else. It's good enough to start playing at level 80, not the first and last set of equipment you'll ever need on that character.

(I'm also not sure it's supposed to be a tutorial. The tutorial is levelling to 80, the boost is a way to skip that process and I think it should be obvious that one of the downsides of doing that is you will skip the opportunity to learn about the game along the way.)

I like the idea of adding info to the wardrobe on where to get different skins as I think that would be useful for a lot of people (it might also help address the assumption some players have that everything except the few skins available as drops comes from the gem store) but I don't like the idea of achievements on your watch list constantly nagging you to complete them. I'd be ok with it if:

a) It's done via the content guide, so if that's turned off you don't get nagged and they just sit there quietly.

b) There's a way to disable achievement tracking entirely if you're not working on any right now. (I know there is an option to hide 'objectives' which includes achievements, but that also includes events, story and everything else in that list so it's no good here.)

As it is I typically track an achievement I have no intention of completing any time soon just to stop it showing the entire list of dailies so I really don't want it constantly prompting me to complete that achievement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think the level 80 boost intentionally includes less than ideal stats on your equipment so players have an incentive to go out and get something else. It's good enough to start playing at level 80, not the first and last set of equipment you'll ever need on that character.

(I'm also not sure it's supposed to be a tutorial. The tutorial is levelling to 80, the boost is a way to skip that process and I think it should be obvious that one of the downsides of doing that is you will skip the opportunity to learn about the game along the way.)

I like the idea of adding info to the wardrobe on where to get different skins as I think that would be useful for a lot of people (it might also help address the assumption some players have that everything except the few skins available as drops comes from the gem store) but I don't like the idea of achievements on your watch list constantly nagging you to complete them. I'd be ok with it if:

a) It's done via the content guide, so if that's turned off you don't get nagged and they just sit there quietly.

b) There's a way to disable achievement tracking entirely if you're not working on any right now. (I know there is an option to hide 'objectives' which includes achievements, but that also includes events, story and everything else in that list so it's no good here.)

As it is I typically track an achievement I have no intention of completing any time soon just to stop it showing the entire list of dailies so I really don't want it constantly prompting me to complete that achievement.

Having recommendations on equipment could help players pursue better stats than what the 80 boost offers, that's for sure. I also don't think players should have to fully sacrifice learning the game to boost. The core game is quite dated and some people just want to leap into the fresh content. They will miss out on story and context, but I think it's practical to keep everyone up to speed mechanically.

My thoughts were the same on it being on the content guide. Having it visible with your other objectives on the right side bar would be a suitable way to help direct players. It could even integrate the tech where clicking on it zooms you to the general location on the map, like the Holo stampedes in Dragon Bash.

I think the game is too dynamic for the game itself to recommend stats based upon weapons and traits. That sounds a lot like "let Windows manage your printers." (Never a good idea, you end up with an email printing on the 36"x24" plotter)

The game itself does not set the Meta, players do -- but of course based upon what the game provides. If a trait shifts via an update, then the devs would have to follow through with whatever triggers the "suggested gear" to make sure it still reflects accurately.

And what if the player base disagrees with the "suggested gear?" And what if the "suggested gear" is very expensive or unavailable due to expansions owned? I see too many problems with such a scenario.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I think the game is too dynamic for the game itself to recommend stats based upon weapons and traits. That sounds a lot like "let Windows manage your printers." (Never a good idea, you end up with an email printing on the 36"x24" plotter)

The game itself does not set the Meta, players do -- but of course based upon what the game provides. If a trait shifts via an update, then the devs would have to follow through with whatever triggers the "suggested gear" to make sure it still reflects accurately.

Specific weapons and trait lines can absolutely help to direct a player towards certain stat sets. If your warrior has swords and Arms equipped then include more condi focused sets. If they have a greatsword and Strength then you recommend more power-focused sets. If they have a mix then they can change things around and see how the recommendations change. Any of that is getting the player to pay more attention than existing gearing.

And what if the player base disagrees with the "suggested gear?"

Then they don't have to equip it?

And what if the "suggested gear" is very expensive or unavailable due to expansions owned? I see too many problems with such a scenario.

Then you increase accessibility to the stat type? Or you can inform them of places to acquire gear easily like Verdant Brink. Don't recommend stat combos for expansion they don't have. There aren't as many problems here as you think.

Except, according to the Devs, the UI is the foremost difficult thing to work on in the game.

Being as they recently released a new Tutorial/New Player guide, and are working on an expansion (and likely gearing up for a new Living World Season), adding a/changing the 'New Player Experience' may be something farther down the list of 'QoL/Content' changes. 

Even if something similar was instituted, it's no guarantee new players would pay attention; according to the forum, they don't read the Level-up tutorial messages, now. 

As for the L80 Boost, it does state:  "For advanced players". 

You never know, 'in your face' recommendations might turn away just as many new players, as no 'on the rails - free to explore the game' does now.

Well my post wasn’t arguing that it would be a simple task for the devs, merely that would be a positive improvement on the New Players Experience. I do like the New Player Guide they made but it does not go nearly in depth enough on important aspects of the game like traits, gear augmentations, or masteries. Also, again, that is outside the game. 

I don’t value hypotheticals as legitimate criticism for giving players more information unless there is hard data on zero direction increasing player count more than otherwise. We know for a fact that most players are not performing even remotely close to those who actually understand how to play the game (anyone remember Mike Z talking about hardcore players doing 10 times the damage of average players?). Improving player direction and info even a tiny bit isn’t going to turn the game into a theme-park mmo.

• Haha 1

a) They should also , put a "grey" button next to the map icon , that say Dungeons and direct you to the "Y>Dungeon UI Tab" (it's kinda hidden atm) .

Or a new account "becomes" a beckon-Public option

(an NPC magickly appears to explain him how the normal LFG works and it will fill it for them. At the end it will "push" a small button that is a Public-beckon enabled ) , and the Dungeon icon around the Map UI start "blinking" , and whoever havent done an instance in the last 30 min he can join him

For the first 3 min the icon can be pushed by people from 30-40 lvl and then increased ranged .

After 12 min , people that have already done instances in the 30 min , can join too .

The instance are colored-coded based on difficulty >>it will pull 2x 80players as the last 2 spots for hard dungeons

That account after one month get +5min (total 35) before he can become a beckon or join them .

After 6 months , it will need 2 hours , so it will be better to join manually the LFG .

Or do the same for 1-20 Fractal , and place an npc that offer gear every 5 lvl and  give them some placibo Utilities (Warrior's Shouts -Might/Vul/Bull Rush)

b) Weekly  Dungeons has 10x "ammo" system that offer more exp and you can 'replanish" the ammo , by doing Events in the Open World?

Or they can simply use  manual list for the current 70% of your lvl , with each run

c) Rather than having the personal story begins every 10 lvl and the dungeon at 30 ... maybe you should lower/resuffle/speed up them all , so they "have something to do"  ?

edit:

a) BUT WHATEVER HAPPENS REMOME THE MANSION PART 2...... that last part where every1 must get a barrel and in the same time place it down down (otherwise the mobs will steal it in 0.2 sec) , is the worst mechanic... EVER ..

b) and in the ascalon part where you fight the last boss/hount and he starting do the aoe attack/falling boulders  , the friendly NPC will fail 80% to cast the Shield to protect you

c)

Maybe you can spent "LI", *cough* to unlock "ultra hardmode" in any part of the game  (Fractal instabilities -same damage- but you must not fail at those 5x times ) for increased Rewards ?

If the dungeon works , it will be better to dry up some other content for 1x  year .. with reduced gold and restart it like dungeon....

Edited by Naqam a.6521
  • Confused 1

Although I'm here for years, I've just finished old world and currently on S2E3, so I guess I qualify as new as far as GW2 goes. I have about 10 years worth of RPG experience anyway.

This topic has merit when taken with moderation, while some people may feel the min-max attitude. Just make sure to curb that in favor of learning path and experience.

I'd mark the most important stats on the character / equipment screen, based on current weapons. Tiny stars, 0-2 is enough (important, useful, unimportant). Considering the build and secondaries would be likely too much. Also, with the Hero panel having so many features it's a bit clumsy to navigate back here, to check the effects of a piece of gear. In WoW-BC, I would keep swapping two items and observe stat changes and make up my mind. In D3 it's guided by putting +1% damage in your face, which may be misleading because reasons. Part of the point, some of it is choice. Berserker is a glass cannon stat, so you may want some defensive stats or healing. I guess.

I used damage meter to check things, too. What % is condition damage? Should I trade stats? Or just try and observe.

The other guidance a new player could use is about group content. I'm merrily participating in the open world, and as far as I can tell, I'm okay (not awesome, not terrible). But I've yet to touch instances, I'm literally afraid of the min-max. Due to that, I also missed the Destiny's Edge story, just learned this week I could do them in story mode (did the orr one), so I will.

I enjoyed going through the world and improving my gear in the process. Around 30 content-wise I purchased a full set of Nika's due to moderate world boss troubles, also with (then) BiS runes. Later I purchased an exotic bow, again BiS. Cruising. The one big item I still have is the axe, which has funny stats. Retrospectively the one thing I messed up is crafting, as I'm currently 415 on both leatherworking and huntsman, I could have crafted said bow myself. (Was 50 silver, non-issue.)

If you want to help boostees, maybe starting out in an appropriate blue set could help. That still leaves the door open to gradually grow through Masterwork, Rare into Exotic, whether by farming gear or sparing some (five) gold. Also allows quest rewards to be useful (S2E1 gave me a level 78 exotic berserker).

I'd like to note playstyles as a factor. I prefer the axe because so often I have to fight 2-4 targets and they come at me, so longbow isn't perfect, while I'm really into ranged so I don't like the greatsword option. Many like the "condi" (shortbow) style as well.

• Like 1