Scepter or Sword?

KeoLegend.5132

I have a Radiance/Zeal Power Dragonhunter and i love her. The focus of dps of course is on Greatsword but i have a doubt about wich one is more effective: Sword/Torch or Scepter/Torch.

On qT it uses scepter but i beleive sword could hit more and be safer with blind + blocks but i wanna be efficient. So which one is better on PVE?

If I remind correctly n the zeal tree i prefered 2 (sword cooldown and 15% crit) than 3 (retaliation on heal) which one is more effective and why?

I personally prefer sword. I feel it does more damage and I like the added bit of mobility from the one of the sword skills (2?) I find no real world use for a scepter. if I need range then I throw on a long bow. Nor do I see many guardians use scepter.. maybe for funsies but that's about it.

Scepter does more dps against a stationary target (such as raid bosses) because Symbol of Punishment does double the damage of Symbol of Blades and it also grants Might, which is a "better" buff than Fury.If you're not fighting a boss that stands still, Sword is almost always better.

@KeoLegend.5132 said:I have a Radiance/Zeal Power Dragonhunter and i love her. The focus of dps of course is on Greatsword but i have a doubt about wich one is more effective: Sword/Torch or Scepter/Torch.

On qT it uses scepter but i beleive sword could hit more and be safer with blind + blocks but i wanna be efficient. So which one is better on PVE?

If I remind correctly n the zeal tree i prefered 2 (sword cooldown and 15% crit) than 3 (retaliation on heal) which one is more effective and why?

It depends. If you use Righteous Instincts, Radiance grand master, you would not need fury, so sword would be redundant. Use scepter and Healer's Retribution, retaliation on heal. If you are using Perfect Inscriptions, Radiance grand master, sword will probably be more useful for uptime on fury. Both are kind of equal in open world.

The meta DH fracture/raid build uses GS and scepter/torch. I think scepter does the highest damage of all DH weapon on large hit box targets.

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience in Open world and fractals, I can make the following assessments with decent confidence.

Torch offers additional DPS and some condition clearing, which is generally considered ideal for Fractals if self sustain isn't a problem.Scepter is your primary ranged weapon, and doesn't need to be traited to useful. Its actually preferable in several fractals where melee is dangerous, or have a stationary target for Symbol 2 to dump damage on. I switched to Scepter from Longbow, because LB utility is lacking in the current balance, and scepter's damage output is more practical in most cases.
Shield should be considered viable when the team comp has trouble with projectiles. I typically run Shield over Torch in PUGs, but there are few fractals I will take it anyway (like Uncategorized) because the Projectile block and CC on shield 5 is just too useful.

Sword is a solid DPS option with any offhand, so long as range isn't a problem. The Teleport/Blind/Symbol on 2 is also really useful against already bunched up mobs, and synergizes well with DH Zealot's Aggression trait with the number of hits skills 1, 2 and 3 can score over a short period. I don't know what the DPS difference between it and GS is right now, but it allows for more practice with the Off-hands.

Archived