It appears the issue I am having is most certainly related to the game in some fashion. I've finally gotten around to testing it on my other machines and all 3 of my machines exhibit the same behavior.
AMD Ryzen 7-3800X
nVidia 2080 Super
Intel i7 - Early 1st-2nd gen
In the screen shot, you can see the screen is black, but I still have a GW2 pointer, which is not frozen and I can move it around and the music still plays in the background, and it will sit like that indefinitely. Action buttons don't do anything. The game is not completely locked up and I can exit via ALT-F4. This will usually happen within a few minutes of loading in to a map. There is a secondary issue which occurs occasionally, where I cannot get past the character select screen. I choose a character, press the start button, which then greys out, but never actually loads a map.
So, it would appear, in my thinking, something was changed in the game, back a month, or so, ago, and it doesn't like something with my network or ISP. My ping times are generally decent, averaging under 50ms to Google, my connection speed is more than ample (~25Mbps/16Mbps) for what GW2 requires. Other on-line games that my kids play don't have issues, such as Apex Legends, Rust, Roblox, Minecraft. With the laptop, I have tried running the verify, deleting the local.dat, I've run both Spybot and MalwareBytes. NOTHING ever gets written to any of the log or dump files and nothing applicable seems to be in the Windows event log. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to look at next since it affects all 3 of my machines.