[Suggestion] Combo Field Priority System

DoM.8396

I would like to suggest a rework on how Combo Fields work. Currently, the "active" Combo Field you are standing in is based on the first field you stood in and if it is still active.

The suggested change I would like to see is changing Combo Fields to where you prioritize your fields over fields casted by others.

Example of current mechanics:

• A Elementalist cast a Fire Field under the boss.
  • A Necromancer cast a Ice Field under the boss.
  • The Necromancer cast a Whirl Finisher under the boss.
  • Result = Burning Bolts

Example of suggested mechanics:

• Result = Chilling Bolts

Prioritizing your own fields should be a thing. What's the communities opinion on this topic?

@OriOri.8724 said:There are positives and negatives to this. This would help the necro yes, but on the old forums a lot of people posted examples of how this would hurt other builds.

It just feels backwards. It feels like if it's going to be a issue it should be a issue for people who do not use their own fields for their finishers. I completely agree that one side of this will have negativity towards it; that side should be the one where people make use of others combo fields.

I just used Necromancer as an example but I have no biased views here. Another example is Chronomancer Wells and such being prominent and casted often making it difficult at times to use a combo finisher in a field that is the one you want.

To clarify, I think the current priority system should stay in place if you aren't casting your own fields. I'm just suggesting that in the priority system they add a variable that checks if the field is casted by the user, and if so, prioritize it first; otherwise which field was the user standing in first that is still active.

I agree. Blasting the right field, at least in wvw, is nearly impossible.I would REALLY love it if my blast finishers would prioritize my own fields.

@Conncept.7638 said:Why not just make finishers proc each field they are in instead of picking one? And then rebalance them based around that new functionality.

This would be interesting to see too tbh.

@Conncept.7638 said:Why not just make finishers proc each field they are in instead of picking one? And then rebalance them based around that new functionality.

This is a interesting concept. Designing it around max potency coming from a finisher produced in 1 of each field stacked. It would be hard to balance this to where playing solo content feels worthwhile to use combos vs using combos in a party environment. I think the idea is great but functionally it would be very difficult to make it work across all the different types of game play.

In the end, if I could just use a finisher in my own fields without needing to focus on placement based on other players fields I'd be satisfied. I should only need to be concerned with placing my fields under enemies; not also placing my fields with the concern of where others place their fields.

@Panda.1967 said:Personally I've always believed that Combo Fields should stack...

• Result = Chilling Bolts & Burning Bolts

As cool as that would be I think stacking fields would lead to utter chaos and a general feeling of op'ness. I still find most new people don't understand what a finisher is let alone how to use it to their advantage.

Now prioritizing your own would be on point but as someone above stated, reddit did a massive thread on the good and bad of that.

Archived