Regarding "forced" camera views in tight spaces.

Taurondir.7698

When ever you enter tight tunnels or similar areas, camera will try and zoom in so you are not seeing OUTSIDE the map.I just ran Twilight Arbour with friends, and ... I'm serious here, I have a splintering headache (I have some vision issues that get exacerbated by excessive motion and trying to focus).

I understand why the camera is currently doing what it does ... but does it HAVE to?

Why not have the engine just blot out what you are not supposed to see, while leaving your view alone?Surely there is some culling routines that can make the brushes invisible, and just leave me with the ground zone visible, ie the parts I just need to walk on.

I have seen other games do it, can this engine do it too?

a setting that might help is the collision sensitivity slider under the camera settings. it controls how many objects will get ignored before it zooms/shifts the camera. ok, it doesn't make bushes invisible and it doesn't stop walls from doing it, but it does stop your camera from freaking out somewhat when objects get in the way.

• ArenaNet Staff

That's helpful info. Thanks, nottsgman.

@nottsgman.8206 said:a setting that might help is the collision sensitivity slider under the camera settings. it controls how many objects will get ignored before it zooms/shifts the camera. ok, it doesn't make bushes invisible and it doesn't stop walls from doing it, but it does stop your camera from freaking out somewhat when objects get in the way.

Unfortunately, the slider doesn't nearly do enough, especially in really tight spaces, or when you have to rotate the camera (such as when trying to find the right way in a jumping puzzle), or when playing a larger character. Add the fact that tight spaces are often badly lit and have monotonous textures, and I too get headaches from it, and especially motion sickness that can last for hours. It makes some JPs pretty much unplayable. Scavenger's Chasm in Malchor's Leap is one of the worst ones, as were the spider tunnels in the beginning of the old Troll's Revenge in Lion's Arch.

Well-lit open areas > tight gloomy spaces, please.

I ran with the slider on max for a while before coming back to answer. It is an improvement, but if it could stay zoomed back EVEN more, it would be far better.

Anyway, I can see that there was a least some thought applied to my problem, I simply think that at least in my case, it might not be enough for some places, but I do understand the "problems" that even higher off-map camera positions may cause.

Oh well.

Archived