Game crashes my PC [MERGED}

For the last week, whenever I run gw2 my PC crashes after 1-2 minutes of gameplay and I am forced to manually restart it.

Ive repaired the client with no successI have tried changing my power supply (since my previous one was getting old) the current one is brand new.My CPU isnt overheating, I have temperature monitors. PC is running at approx 20CIve tried testing the graphics card on various graphics heavy games and it runs fine on those, even though its rather old.Im not having any issues with any other game on my PC.I havnt changed anything else on my PC other than the PSU

Would be great to have an idea why its crashing.

PC specs:Processor-Intel core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHZ16gb ramNVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 graphics cardRunning windows 7 64 bit with directX 11

the unit isnt defective as i had it tested before installing. its an evga bronze 80+ certified 700w which is more than enoguh to run my setup.

i momitored the power on various apps and then on gw2 right before the crash and power was stable.

i have also ran torture tests on my gpu and cpu. cpu passed fine barely reaching 55 degrees at 100% (gw2 uses 30% average at 20-30 degrees)

gpu stayed consistent with no crashing when torture tested but at high temp of 75-85. im assuming gw2 is overheating the gpu now but find it odd that games that tax the gpu more dont have any issues.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:For the last week, whenever I run gw2 my PC crashes after 1-2 minutes of gameplay and I am forced to manually restart it.

Ive repaired the client with no successI have tried changing my power supply (since my previous one was getting old) the current one is brand new.My CPU isnt overheating, I have temperature monitors. PC is running at approx 20CIve tried testing the graphics card on various graphics heavy games and it runs fine on those, even though its rather old.Im not having any issues with any other game on my PC.I havnt changed anything else on my PC other than the PSU

Would be great to have an idea why its crashing.

PC specs:Processor-Intel core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHZ16gb ramNVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 graphics cardRunning windows 7 64 bit with directX 11

Since you said you changed psu recently, this may or may not help. Turn the computer off, make sure the main power cable is disconnected. Now jiggle the main thick psu cable a little bit, and make sure it's connected to mobo sufficiently. When I say jiggle I don't mean shake it around, just move it and reposition it a bit. For some reason, some psu manufacturers cabling on mobo's aren't too great, and they can cause what you are currently experiencing (even if other games work but just gw2 is crashing), so you may have to move the cable around a little before finding it doesn't crash (remember you are doing this while it is off and restarting system each time to check in game, and then turning off and trying again). This is just from a previous experience so if it is not that then the only other thing I can think of is ram modules, gpu card, drivers, etc. Let me ask you, when gw2 crashes, the screen goes black and you can hear sounds in the background? Or does it also hard freeze the pc and you have to manually shut down?

I was going to chime in here because I'm having issues similar to this and I don't want to start a new thread. As to your question DemonSeed.3528, the screens turn black but I can hear and still play the game, which to me means the GPU is failing (maybe?!). I play other games Destiny 2, Witcher 3, Heroes of the Storm and do not experience this behavior and they are graphically more intensive (not Heroes of the Storm). The only solution that I've found is to turn down the graphics down but the crashes are so specific that it's frustrating. For example it consistently happens near the Jade Construct in Ember Bay and now with the latest patch, within the Special Forces Training Area and I've seen it in the inital phase of the Swampland Fractal but only once. I turn my graphics to highest when I leave these areas and there's no issues. I'm running a GTX 970 but I can't remember the other specs off hand.

@zombyturtle.5980 said:the unit isnt defective as i had it tested before installing.

What does that even mean? Who tested it? How?

i momitored the power on various apps and then on gw2 right before the crash and power was stable.

What do you mean "the power"? Voltages don't have to be unstable in order for the power supply to fail. The reason your PC shuts down like that is because it's not getting enough current (amperage) which is not measurable by built-in sensors, so you have no idea if the relevant metric was stable or not.

i have also ran torture tests on my gpu and cpu. cpu passed fine barely reaching 55 degrees at 100% (gw2 uses 30% average at 20-30 degrees)

gpu stayed consistent with no crashing when torture tested but at high temp of 75-85. im assuming gw2 is overheating the gpu now but find it odd that games that tax the gpu more dont have any issues.

Yes that is odd, in fact, it's completely contrary to your theory so I dunno why you would even believe that. Regardless, passing a torture test doesn't prove the absence of a defect. The relevant test in question is running GW2. Have you tried a different power supply? This is the easiest step you can take to confirm or rule out the source.

@Leablo.2651 said:

@zombyturtle.5980 said:the unit isnt defective as i had it tested before installing.

What does that even mean? Who tested it? How?

What do you mean "the power"? Voltages don't have to be unstable in order for the power supply to fail. The reason your PC shuts down like that is because it's not getting enough current (amperage) which is not measurable by built-in sensors, so you have no idea if the relevant metric was stable or not.

Yes that is odd, in fact, it's completely contrary to your theory so I dunno why you would even believe that. Regardless, passing a torture test doesn't prove the absence of a defect. The relevant test in question is running GW2. Have you tried a different power supply? This is the easiest step you can take to confirm or rule out the source.

Dunno why you are responding in this tone lol, i was just asking for advice and I had already ruled out the PSU failing. I mentioned it multiple times, and in my OP i did replace my old PSU with a new one with no change.

Anyway I figured out the cause with help from reddit. The problem was the GPU overheating like I suspected. Turning down ALL visual settings in game allowed me to play without crashing but if I turned them up it would instantly reach 100degrees C and the thermal protection would kick in crashing the GPU and hanging up my PC. I still dont understand why GW2 is the only game that does this but I guess its the particle effects.

Ive since bought a new graphics card. Ill update when it arrives to confirm its fixed the issue.

Update: the new graphics card fixed the issue.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I am just now playing Living World Season 3 story mission "A Shadow's Deeds" and my PC always crashes bad (with lots of erratic sound artifacts and black screen) in a non-deterministic manner within 1 min after having the first talk with Caithe. Referring to elTigre.4532's post about Jade Constructs, I recon this actually is a major bug in the graphics engine. I have an ASUS R9 280 and if this is supposed to be an overheating issue as, then it must be due to poor programming on ArenaNet's side. It is absolutely ridiculous that I can play all other story missions so far and all world bosses with hundreds of other players lagging @ around 15 fps, yet in a scene with 2 actors, a bunch of rocks and some shader fx my graphics card suddenly isn't enough anymore and overheats? That is just rubbish. If it should be overheating , there must be a vastly inefficient or way to deep recursive function that is executed low-level on a shader or something like that and came with Living World Season 3. I don't believe in overheating but rather in a non-deterministic bug producing a null pointer that is not caught by some graphics cards / GPUs or their drivers.

ArenaNet: You make more than enough money with this game, so I hereby kindly ask you to review your code instead of expecting detailed error reports and fix this.

Best regards

After patch I've crashed 4 times back to desktop. 2 times while using forge. once while opening BL chests, and one while using TP. Three instances happened in Mistlock Sanctuary, and the last in LA on a different toon.

I've had no issues prior to patch. And can log right back in after relaunching.

Running latest updated Windows 10